Weekend Dive Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tkaelin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My daughter and I just came back from a nice weekend dive trip in GCM. We fly from JFK on Jetblue on Fri morning and the flight and travel went well. Nonstop flights have been reasonably priced from JFK with a number of options with prices under $350.00. We like JetBlue and Cayman Airways. Dependable and good schedules. One free bag on JB, two on CA.

We booked a three night two dive day trip with Oceanfrontiers Compasspoint. We dove with them the same time last year and enjoyed the stay and diving and wanted to return. The package includes a car, and the pick up from Avis was fast and easy. The car was about the smallest thing I have driven and with the back seat down it just fit our two dive bags. It was all the car we needed, easy to drive and after three days of driving, a lot of driving, it only took 3 gallons before we dropped it off. Impressive mileage.

Our first trip from the airport was to Turtle Reef and Macabuca, one of our favorite stops on the island. Sun divers were friendly and efficient as always and we were in the water in no time. Vis was ok, maybe 80-100’ and the seas calm with no current. In the afternoon, the restaurant was just about empty and nice and quiet. After the dive we had a nice late lunch early dinner of cracked conch, mahi mahi tacos and flash fried snapper. Always enjoyable and a nice way to start the trip. New this year are mandatory tip included at all restaurants. Not a problem for us once we noticed it.

The ride out to OF and the east end took almost an hour but the ride was enjoyable and the island seemed unusually quiet with very little traffic on the road. We did not see a cruise ship in and none were scheduled for the weekend. A plus for us.

Check in at OF was a breeze and we had a perfect 1st fl room closest to the dock. New this year (new for us) were the outdoor showers and Eagle Rays Bar. The showers were convenient right on the walk up from the boats and a nice addition. Eagle Rays was great addition. It was under construction during our last visit last May. The menu was great and we quickly realized why – it is run, owned, or otherwise affiliated with Tukkas up the road. The menu was also reasonably priced: two lion fish tacos and either a side salad or fries, all freshly prepared and generous in serving size for $10 US. It was so nice to be able to eat on site with a nice view of the water a plus.

Diving on Sat: Two tank up North. First site McCurley’s Wall and Babylon. The crew mentioned having to deal with currents during the week. While there was a current, more noticeable on the second shallower dive, the vis was excellent 150+ ft. No big critters but the terrain and topography with the excellent vis made for a great dive. The second dive was on Photographer’s Reef. Another nice dive. Did not see a lionfish on either dive.

Lunch at Eagle Rays and some rest. We headed up to Rum Point late afternoon. I have not been there since the early 80’s and was prepared to see everything changed. While the changes were dramatic, the place was just about empty, quiet with the folks that were there just relaxing and enjoying the afternoon. We had a nice swim and stayed for a while. While there is no charge to enter and to use the loungers, they must make their money on food and drink. Two rum punches set us back $25US. After our return to OF we split an appetizer platter at Eagle Rays that more than satisfied as dinner: calamari, wings, ribs, lobster spring rolls, conch fritters and coconut shrimp plus fries. I may have missed something but this is the gist of it.

Sun Two Tank trip had us heading south. First dive was at High Rock Drop off. Great long swim thru from about 50’ in the shallows to out on the wall at 95’. Vis again was excellent at 150’+. Contours and topography fascinating. Reminded me of a great dive on Little Cayman. Second dive at Kelly’s Caverns. Fun easy dive with multiple short swim throughs.

Upon our return another lunch at Eagle Rays, quick change, gear grab and off to the Lobster Pot to meet Tom of Off the Wall Divers for a one tank on the KW. The forecast for Sun was 60% chance of thunderstorms with clouds all day. We had mostly sun all day and only clouded up once in Georgetown. The town was empty and waters were empty. We ended up diving with Tom and Graham with the boat to ourselves. The sun came out while on the KW and we had the wreck to ourselves. I have dove the KW before but I thought my daughter would enjoy it. We had a great dive and Tom and Graham were a pleasure to dive with. I think next time I will skip the KW and dive the sand chute right next to the wreck. I would highly recommend Tom and Graham and Off the Wall and will definitely dive with them in the future.

Nice late lunch/early dinner at Guy Harvey’s grill. Again, the island seemed unusually quiet with no traffic or cars downtown, hardly anyone on the street and only one other table on the deck outside at GH. It was actually quite nice. On the way back we took the south sound route past Sunset House and a nice looking beach.

Monday was a leisurely pack up and swim. Sunrise coffee outside as the crews got the boats ready and headed out for another day. We arrived at the airport early, checked in and had lunch upstairs at Hungry Horse. I was one of the lucky few to be selected for more thorough security, 4 pink SSSS on my pass, special inspection at the xray machine and then interview with my check in bag inspection in the side room by the gate. No biggie and it gets you right to the front of the security line.

All in all another great trip. Looking forward to the next one, hopefully in 2015.

Last edited:
Off the wall was a good choice. You made a lot out of the short time you were there. I would have been wanting to double up on your time and your stops, I think for going that far away 3 days would be so short...but at least it would be better than not going at all. I hope you have a good time again next year, thanks for the great report.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom