Holy Stingray, Batman!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sweathog13

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Smalleye stingrays can get over 2 meters wide. Quite a bit bigger than the ones at Stingray City off of Grand Cayman!

Check out the video footage here.

Awesome!

Much, MUCH, bigger than the stingrays in the Sea of Cortez, which get maybe a foot to a foot and a half across.

Wow that is awsome. Would love to see one in person!

Gosh, that was pretty unconvincing footage... in terms of size by size actual comparison~ I've shot footage like that with Caribbean 2 foot females. Hope the actual show does some better images.

Smalleye stingrays can get over 2 meters wide. Quite a bit bigger than the ones at Stingray City off of Grand Cayman!

Check out the video footage here.
Southern Stingrays can reach up to 2 meters across. Southern Stingray, Dasyatis americana at MarineBio.org I've seen very few that big, but a few. Saw one scavenging fish guts around piers in Belize one.

The interesting video you linked mentioned that that rare species can get to 2.5 meters across.

I have a photo of a stingray that is maybe 5ft across that I took off Rottnest Island, (Off the Cost of Perth, Australia). My photo doesn't really doesn't show a size comparison though :(

I have a photo of a stingray that is maybe 5ft across that I took off Rottnest Island, (Off the Cost of Perth, Australia). My photo doesn't really doesn't show a size comparison though :(
Yeah, I never could get them to pose by my dive light either. They're usually pretty busy creatures it seems.

More locally to the US, since we're now talking about other species, you can still find Atlantic Mantas near Tobago that are 8, 10 and the rare 12' wingspan. Most have skeedaddled, but the best operators can still find them at the right time of year (and day!).

Looks something like a B-2 bomber.

Swam with a Manta between Holbox and Cancun last year on a whale shark excursion. Bigggggg Boy! He was under me a few feet, upside down, then did a nice roll and adios....!

Always enjoy the Cozumel Eagel Rays. Usually shy, but my favorite was one that kept dive bombing the sand then circling around to hit the same area again while our two groups lay on the bottom. A few nice pics but I wish I had switched to video.

Then this one time at Utila, a DM suggested I pet an Electric Ray. :eek: I always wondered if he would have stopped me if I'd feel for that.

Back
Top Bottom