Relaxing by humming

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anderssub

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This is a serious question.

On a recent trip to the Red Sea, I was talking to the Divemaster about relaxing underwater in order to regularise breathing. He said that he hums to himself - usually silently, but sometimes out loud. (I know he was telling the truth, because I heard him once or twice, which could be a bit unnerving at 30 meters).

I tried his method, picking my own tune, and it seemed to work quite well for me. The tune I picked was "Albatross" by Fleetwood Mac, which, if you know it, is very calming, and also quite appropriate to being at sea.

I was wondering whether any other forum readers use this method to relax, and, if so, which tunes would people suggest ?

(Note this is not the same as asking for favourite diving music - I saw that on another thread)

I will sometimes meditate on the dive boat or beach before a dive and will sometimes do "ohms" underwater.

BTW: Albatross is a good idea. However the theme from "Jaws" is probably not. I'd also stay away from any heavy metal...but that's just me.

I would try some dry land breathing exercises, and yoga. That will teach you how to control your breathing while exerting effort.

Diving to me is relaxing enough that I don't need to do anything to ruin the experience. I pity anyone who is so uptight that they need something to take their mind off the dive.

I was told that some of the guides on the Odyssey in the Truk Lagoon sing underwater in order to relax and conserve air. Sometimes the words were a little off, but it seemed to work.

A GUE instructor told me that laughter releases calming endorphines. To be used during an extreme pucker moment. :shocked2:

My OW instructor had me hum while breathing in order to improve my lousy SAC rate then others in my dive group threatened me bodily harm nixing that practice....:)

My good dive buddy was humming to himself while on a cold deep dive this summer. I was about two body lengths ahead of him or so so I couldn't directly see him at some points.

To me, his humming sounded like the sound a person makes underwater when Jaws pulls you under. So I kept turning around to make sure he wasn't drowning lol. I found out later what the noises were (sound direction underwater isn't very good)

I think he said his song was like

"This really sucks
la la la
this is freakin' cold
la la la
Vis really sucks
la la la
this is getting old"

Either way, I sometimes will say "Whoa" or "wow" underwater....and even the occasionaly "holy *****! That's a big fish" lol. Just keep in mind how it can sound to others. Sounds like it could definitely work though :)

-Jim

My good dive buddy was humming to himself while on a cold deep dive this summer. I was about two body lengths ahead of him or so so I couldn't directly see him at some points.

To me, his humming sounded like the sound a person makes underwater when Jaws pulls you under. So I kept turning around to make sure he wasn't drowning lol. I found out later what the noises were (sound direction underwater isn't very good)

I think he said his song was like

"This really sucks
la la la
this is freakin' cold
la la la
Vis really sucks
la la la
this is getting old"

Either way, I sometimes will say "Whoa" or "wow" underwater....and even the occasionaly "holy *****! That's a big fish" lol. Just keep in mind how it can sound to others. Sounds like it could definitely work though :)

-Jim

The only thing worse would be tank banging for which I abhor...:shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom