Wet suit for keys in feburary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nikwho

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to bring one suit when i come out this feb. 14th to 20th. Is a 7mm overkill? whats the water temp like at depth that time of year? I'd like to check out the Vandenburg and a few other wrecks. Would a 3mm be too cold? thanks again, guys!

I have dove in Key Largo in Dec. and a 3mm was ok. But, these were shallow dives. The Vandy, SG, Duane all may be colder at depth.

It's usually in the low 70's down there in the winter. For me, that means a 3mm full. 7mm, IMHO, would be overkill.
But every diver is different! Some will be in dry suits!!! :D

Last winter the temps were in the low 70's that time of year - so figure on 72 - 74 as a good average.

I live in S. FL and starting in December - Jan at the latest, I'm in my 7mm - candidly, if you get cold, and have the suit, I'd bring 5mm.

I've been down in January and March (never February) but each time a 3mm was fine for me. Most of the locals will be in 5's or warmer. I dove with someone that had a 3mm full with a 3mm shorty over it (and a hood and gloves) I was fine in the 3mm...But I was fine in my dry suit in 42º water today so....

5mm to 7mm is right on the money for locals.

and accurate statement for people i locally dive with. i wear a 5mm full suit with a 3/5mm hooded vest during the winter months,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

I'm not a fan of cold water. So I would probably use a 5mm or 7mm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom