Dry Suit for Short Woman - don't dive cold often

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MsDClark

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
While on a work trip I will have the extra time to dive at the Blue Hole in New Mexico. I figure it will be a rare opportunity for me to be able to get an altitude diver specialty so I booked this course while on the trip. The water temperature is supposed to be 61 degrees. I don't typically like diving in cold water, so I don't see the need to buy a dry suit or even a 7mm suit.

Temperatures will be around 100 degrees so I'd lean toward renting a dry suit over a 7mm suit. I feel like 7mm suits are too restrictive and I start feeling claustrophobic wearing them, which doesn't make a new dive experience enjoyable. Last time I tried to double layer with 3mm suits to withstand <70 degree water, I nearly fainted from overheating.
Can I rent a dry suit that will fit a short female? Is there an online vendor? Do I have to take a class to learn how to dive with the dry suit?
Anyone have any input or ideas for me?

I’m a short female, but also round. If something fits my torso, arms and legs are much too long. Your build also has to be considered. My drysuit is custom. Fits fab.

Most places in the US are going to require you to be drysuit certified in order to rent a suit due to liability issues. You are most likely NOT going to be able to find a rental that fits you.

Why do you want the altitude diver cert? I’m going to be honest, it sounds like you would be better off NOT going this. 61F water would be just a bit chilly to me in my 5mm wetsuit.

While on a work trip I will have the extra time to dive at the Blue Hole in New Mexico. I figure it will be a rare opportunity for me to be able to get an altitude diver specialty so I booked this course while on the trip. The water temperature is supposed to be 61 degrees. I don't typically like diving in cold water, so I don't see the need to buy a dry suit or even a 7mm suit.

Temperatures will be around 100 degrees so I'd lean toward renting a dry suit over a 7mm suit. I feel like 7mm suits are too restrictive and I start feeling claustrophobic wearing them, which doesn't make a new dive experience enjoyable. Last time I tried to double layer with 3mm suits to withstand <70 degree water, I nearly fainted from overheating.
Can I rent a dry suit that will fit a short female? Is there an online vendor? Do I have to take a class to learn how to dive with the dry suit?
Anyone have any input or ideas for me?
You aren't going to find a dry suit at Blue Hole, and no one in NM will rent you one without a certification. I agree with @Marie13 about the altitude certification, it's kind of a joke. If you're diving on a computer it's practically irrelevant.

Dry suits are going to be generally more uncomfortable at the surface than wetsuits, and it will take you longer to get suited up. The heat should be more like 90 when you're here, and it's a dry heat, so I suspect you won't be that miserable. You can rent a 7mm if you go on a weekend. If you get hot, just jump in the water and cool off...

FWIW, the dry suit cert generally requires a pool session. I've only ever taught one dry suit class there without a pool session (SDI doesn't require it), but that was to a student whom I'd dived with before. It didn't hurt that he'd already taken fundies too.

If you need any help finding things out here, just send me a DM and I'll try to help you get in touch with the right folks.

You aren't going to find a dry suit at Blue Hole, and no one in NM will rent you one without a certification. I agree with @Marie13 about the altitude certification, it's kind of a joke. If you're diving on a computer it's practically irrelevant.

Dry suits are going to be generally more uncomfortable at the surface than wetsuits, and it will take you longer to get suited up. The heat should be more like 90 when you're here, and it's a dry heat, so I suspect you won't be that miserable. You can rent a 7mm if you go on a weekend. If you get hot, just jump in the water and cool off...

FWIW, the dry suit cert generally requires a pool session. I've only ever taught one dry suit class there without a pool session (SDI doesn't require it), but that was to a student whom I'd dived with before. It didn't hurt that he'd already taken fundies too.

If you need any help finding things out here, just send me a DM and I'll try to help you get in touch with the right folks.
I am a short rather curvy lady too. Even though my sizing seems small my hips always knock me up to a different size then the legs are always too long. And I seem to have been born with slight tyrannosaurus rex arms so those are always too long too.

Well y'all are no fun in discouraging altitude diver cert. :)
I rarely have the opportunity to dive for enjoyment, so my skills become rusty (I took rescue diver course this summer and it had been 10 years since my last dive.) I decided to start taking certifications to stay a little more active and I am going to attempt to find close dive sites like the Blue Hole while I have these solo business trips.
I'm already Advanced OW so other than the certifications I don't have much to go for in the time I dedicate to this hobby. The altitude diver certification is more of an excuse to keep me committed so I won't wimp out and use the excuse to cancel the dive due to it being too much trouble.
Most of the dive sites that are an easy drive from where I live are murky yucky water so I don't enjoy those either. I did just get my Spring Lake Diver certification so I can go over to Spring Lake Texas every couple of months and do volunteer cleanup dives with them.

@VikingDives - are you saying to teach altitude diver? I just booked with the first shop I googled but I'd rather have a connection if possible. I'll look for a 7mm rental and hope for the best.

I have a small body frame, and I almost always dive with my drysuit.

You can use your own drysuit without a certification, but probably still need some coach sessions. I would recommend drysuit coaching with a good instructor over getting the c-card from someone random.

I am a short rather curvy lady too. Even though my sizing seems small my hips always knock me up to a different size then the legs are always too long. And I seem to have been born with slight tyrannosaurus rex arms so those are always too long too.

Well y'all are no fun in discouraging altitude diver cert. :)
I rarely have the opportunity to dive for enjoyment, so my skills become rusty (I took rescue diver course this summer and it had been 10 years since my last dive.) I decided to start taking certifications to stay a little more active and I am going to attempt to find close dive sites like the Blue Hole while I have these solo business trips.
I'm already Advanced OW so other than the certifications I don't have much to go for in the time I dedicate to this hobby. The altitude diver certification is more of an excuse to keep me committed so I won't wimp out and use the excuse to cancel the dive due to it being too much trouble.
Most of the dive sites that are an easy drive from where I live are murky yucky water so I don't enjoy those either. I did just get my Spring Lake Diver certification so I can go over to Spring Lake Texas every couple of months and do volunteer cleanup dives with them.

@VikingDives - are you saying to teach altitude diver? I just booked with the first shop I googled but I'd rather have a connection if possible. I'll look for a 7mm rental and hope for the best.
Hey, somehow I didn't get notified of this post. Yes, I teach it.

I tried calling you back but I got your voicemail. Give me a call if you still want to talk.

If you end up buying eventually, my wife loves her santi ladies first suit. Unlike other brands there are smart features and adjustments that make a woman's drysuit fit properly. Other brands that have "ladies lines" mostly are just selling small men's suits. The santis actually are different.

@VikingDives I'm going to try to reach out to you today
@rddvet I made note to look at the Santi Ladies First suit. Since I am trying a new stance on diving more often, I might end up deciding to get a dry suit eventually

I dove with a rented Bare drysuit in Silfra, Iceland last year. It was my size S but it was too big. I looked so bad like I wore men's L size. I didn't want to post my pictures with the suit on my social media. :( The Santi Ladies First suit is nice but I recommend you to order a made to measure suit. Getting the right fit is crucial for comfort and mobility. Santi suits look fancy than Dui suits but Dui is better for long term. I personally chose MODS drysuit over DUI because they have 90% similar features but the MODS prices are way cheaper than DUI. It is worth to check them out.

I dove with a rented Bare drysuit in Silfra, Iceland last year. It was my size S but it was too big. I looked so bad like I wore men's L size. I didn't want to post my pictures with the suit on my social media. :( The Santi Ladies First suit is nice but I recommend you to order a made to measure suit. Getting the right fit is crucial for comfort and mobility. Santi suits look fancy than Dui suits but Dui is better for long term. I personally chose MODS drysuit over DUI because they have 90% similar features but the MODS prices are way cheaper than DUI. It is worth to check them out.
When measuring for a custom drysuit from MODS use this video as a guide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom