Helicopter Kick - is this right: turn left = scoop with left fin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mtbr

Contributor
Reaction score
I've seen several variations of helicopter kicks. Which is the correct way?
I scoop with my fin in the direction I want to turn. For example, when turning left I scoop my left fin in a circular motion.

To rotate to my left (head goes left, feet go right) I use the bottom of the right fin to "scoop" water and send it to my left fin, where the top/side of the fin sends it onward. The helicopter turn is half frog kick (in this example, right foot) and half back kick (left foot).

I use both the Op's method and TS&M's. It depends on conditions and how fast I want to get around. The first method is bit slower but results in a turn for me that allows me to keep my chest centered over a fixed point with little to no drift unless there;s a current. Very useful when doing precise turns during navigation exercises.

I've never really thought about it and don't have near the experience as TS&M or Jim, but sitting here on the computer and visualizing; I think I do a combo of both.
My initial thought is right foot/left turn and left foot/right turn and a subtle invervse motion with the opposite foot. Good question, sure made me think a little this A.M. :coffee:

To rotate to my left (head goes left, feet go right) I use the bottom of the right fin to "scoop" water and send it to my left fin, where the top/side of the fin sends it onward. The helicopter turn is half frog kick (in this example, right foot) and half back kick (left foot).

So if I use less power in my back kick (left foot when turning left) and shift slightly more effort in my frog kick (right foot), then we pretty much have the same technique.

Right now I focus more effort towards my back kicks. I'll try TSandM's technique in an hour and report back tonight.

Oh, man, if you're focused on the back kick part of it, you aren't getting half the power of the spin you can get. The frog kick part is MUCH more powerful.

TSandM, I tried incorporating the frog kick into the mix, but I'm having trouble coordinating each leg to do the opposite. My muscle memory kicks in and it's hard to break what I've learned.

This is my current technique YouTube - The Helicopter Turn.

Like JimLap, how I do it depends on what I'm accomplishing. If someone behind me is flashing their light in an emergency signal, I'll use both feet (counterclockwise = regular frog kick with my left leg and backwards kick with my right). If I'm just casually turning, I generally only use one leg (in this case, the left).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom