Full Face Mask Advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWdiver24

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I'm considering getting a Full Face mask. I'm looking at a few different brands and have decided the one i like the most that fits my needs. Now thinking about what it will be like diving with one i've run into a roadblock. The only way i've been able to clear my ears on a dive is to actually HOLD my nose and breath through it. I know there are other ways to accomplish clearing but i'm unsure of the proper techniques. Can anyone point me in the right direction? thx.

Although I don't like full face masks I have used one. There is a nose block that you can use for that purpose.

Yeah... Nose Block. Depending on the model, either there is a nose block, or a mechanical device that you can use to pinch your nose.

The OTS Masks use nose blocks. You just basically push on the mask, and it blocks your nose, and you can clear.

I had an Ocean Reef FFM for awhile. The mask has two silicone plugs that you force
part way into your nostrils to equalize. this is done by pushing upward and towards your face with your hand.
I found it to be a little harder to equalize with the FFM. I didn't use it a lot to perfect the technique vbut it was a little harder.
AGA masks have a small vee shaped rubber block for equalizing. Have not used one of those.
I have a Kirby Morgan EXO-26 that has conventional pockets for the fingers for equalizing but requires the use of an index finger from each hand. I find it is easier
to clear with the EXO-26.
Why do you want an FFM ?
I got mine for very cold water (42 and colder). I used it two winters till I met a guy
on a trip and we were talking about the FFM. I told him I use it for cold water . He asked what I considered cold water. I said 42 and colder. He said he used his regular mask into the low 30's. I felt like a wuss. Never used it again. I now use a regular mask under the ice. Thanks Mike where ever you are.

The Kirby Morgan M-48 does not have a nose block device, you just pinch your nose in the nose pocket of the mask, under the face plate frame. Simple and easy.
m48.jpg

Most dive shops will not carry the M-48 because it is a little more expensive than say the Ocean Reef Neptune, but your scuba regulator might be compatable with the regulator pod and you can buy the mask without a regulator attached for less than an AGA or OTS full face mask. Check the manual starting on page 12 to see if your regulator will work. http://www.kirbymorgan.com/PDF/Manuals/SuperMask_Manual/m-48guide.pdf

With the AGA, OTS and I think the Neptune you have to use the regulator that comes with the mask.

Full face masks are useful if you need a microphone for surface communication, or surface supplied air for mixed gasses. They are heavier, and much less comfortable than a separate mask and regulator. They are much more expensive because fewer divers use them, and the less expensive full face masks are scratched easily.

If you need them they are worth the high price. But if you think they look good, they're too uncomfortable to dive them for fun.

The typical method of holding the nose, while effective, is not necessarily the safest. This site lists a lot of info, and suggests an alternate method. It works for me some of the time and requires no hands.

Practical Ear "Clearing"

It depends upon the manufacturer. Kirby Morgan, Interspiro, OTS, Ocean Reef, and AGA normally use a Nose Block Device, where the Cressi Sub, IST, Scubapro, OTS (Mantis) masks have the nose accessible to pinch. There are however a number of models to choose from with different features.

Although I prefer the Kirby Morgan, I can appreciate that it's very expensive for recreational use. Whatever you buy I'd recommend that you ensure it's it's equipped with an ambient breathing valve which will allow you to breath ambient air while at the surface (this saves back air and is ideal if you're diving without an umbilical).

If you need them they are worth the high price. But if you think they look good, they're too uncomfortable to dive them for fun.

Sorry, but I disagree. You might be speaking from a limited number of experiences with only a couple of masks. They are not all the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom