Raising the Bar - certification verses training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive_Geek

Registered
Reaction score
First of all a warning for those who do not enjoy long posts, this one may not be for you.

I have been a long time reader and lurker of these boards but I have recently had an experience that made me want to post and voice some opinions on the differences between certification and training in the scuba diving community.

A bit of background...in junior high school, I was involved in track and field as a high jumper. I was fairly good for my age and as such was invited to try out for a competition track meet of “elite” level junior high talent. This meet was not open to anyone and as such had minimum standards to qualify for the event. In my event of high jumping a minimum height had to be cleared a week before the track meet, in order to qualify for a spot in the competition.

I very much wanted to be included in this elite level competition, so I trained hard. Every day after school I would set bar at the required qualification height and practice until I could clear it every time. I felt confident and cocky. The week before the meet my hard work paid off as I easily cleared the required height and qualified for the competition.

I went into the track meet full of confidence. My confidence soon turned to dismay however as I placed dead last. Afterwards my father sat down with me and had a conversation with me that changed my attitude towards many things in life. I had set my eyes on the minimum standard. I had trained and achieved a qualification to attend an elite level track meet and stopped there. I did not raise the bar as others in that competition had clearly done. My father wisely stated “if you do not raise the bar, how will you ever know how high you can go”.

How does this relate to scuba diving? For the last couple years I have been helping out with scuba certification classes as a NAUI assistant instructor. Recently there was a student who wanted to participate in a NAUI master diver class that my supervising instructor was offering. As this particular student had been in other classes (advanced and rescue) that we had offered we knew him quite well. Both of us were of the opinion that this student was not ready for the course. We told him politely that perhaps he was not ready for the course and offered him some extra pool time to help him be ready for the next one. Well he blew up. He was furious, after all he argued, he did have the bare minimum amount of dives required by NAUI to take the class, and had the minimum amount of skills. In the end we still maintained that despite the fact he meet NAUI’s minimum requirement (just barely) we felt he would be better served to wait a bit and hone the skills he just learned in his previous rescue class.

The instructor at the store is a very nice and generous person and offered this student some extra pool time free of charge to help him get ready for the next Masters class, which he reluctantly accepted. I was asked to come along to observe my instructor and help out where I could. At the pool we told this student that we wanted to start practising with him some basic out of air drills. Once again this student was furious stating that such basic open water skills were beneath him as a “rescue diver” and he already knew how to do them. Predictably, once we got him to demonstrate his evidently superior open water skills to us, it was apparent that they were lacking. This student, as I was in my youth obsessed with meeting the minimum standards and was failing with that approach as miserably as I failed at the track meet.

What is my long winded point? Certification is the minimum standard. Many scuba divers believe that once they meet this certification then the process is over. They are more concerned with the certification rather than the training. In university, several of my fellow class mates lived by the slogan “C’s and D’s equal degrees”. In that all they had to do was meet the minimum standard and they would reap the full benefits of a University degree.

When I first started scuba diving 7 years ago, I was immediately in love with the sport. I wanted to learn the sport, not just to achieve a certification, but because I was sincerely interested in the subject. I did not want to just be able to pass off the minimum required skills, I wanted to master them. I did not jump to the next level of certification as soon as I had the bare minimum or required dives or pre-requisite training, rather I waited until I truly felt that I had not only learned, but mastered and practised the skills presented in the previous course.

Currently I have been an assistant instructor for 2 years and have assisted in numerous open water classes. My supervising instructor tells me I have been ready to make the jump to a full instructor and take a full instructor training course for a long time. I however am not sure I agree. When I do go to that next step, I do not want to be just another dive instructor, I want to be a good one. Like people as Jim Lap, and Grateful Diver and others on this board appear to be. I want to be coming at the course from a position of experience and although I have about 250 dives and 7 years diving experience plus 2 years of assistant instruction experience I am not sure if I have enough behind me to fully show that I can walk the walk as well as I can talk the talk. I do not want to be an instructor who is teaching who he himself has only met the required minimum amount of dives and diving experience. When I make the jump to being a full instructor, I want to be sure that I will be a great one, one of true quality with the proper amount of real experience to back me up.
I feel that the dive community and society in general would be much better served if people were more concerned with getting actual training and learning rather than just getting certified.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading.

Well, I have about 200 dives in the last almost four years and have an AOW cert which I got at around the 150 dive mark so as only to be elegible to dive the Oriskany. Big deal. I don't think that 250 dives in itself makes anyone proficient enough to be an instuctor. Of course since there are probably a lot of them around giving instructions with a lesser background it only goes to show that diving, which CAN be a dangerous sport if approached incorrectly, is actually pretty forgiving lately because of the modern equipment available. Seems like few young divers die per water/hour compared to us old geezers going off and having heart attacks in the water and all that. If I had found out how fun and relaxing diving is when I was a youngster I probably would have ended up going the full route with it but being a land-lubber confined to the Midwest all my life and concentrating on making a living (money) I didn't get the chance. If you can afford to live on the money available for your work, go for it.

Well as a relatively new diver I can say that meeting the minimum requirements is just not enough. When I had first signed up I had felt that it was, but since the only diving I have done has been in the northeast and the greatest visibility I have had was maybe 20 feet, once. I have also only been in very strong currents, so I have found that being in shape is a must. I also have found that being able to navigate underwater is a priceless skill to have. I have only done my open water certification, and only have just over 30 dives, but am still pursuing my dive "education". I have recently taken the drift diving course, which I have done drift dives before, but figured I wanted to do the reading on it. I did the nitrox course as well, but have never doe any dives that warrant it. I did the drysuit course when I bought my drysuit just to be sure that I knew how to handle myself with it. I have done a few night dives, and plan on taking the course, but again just to keep my mind going. I figure I will over time work my way up to at least a divemaster, and maybe in more time an instructor. But I have a long long long way to go before I would feel comfortable even just as a divemaster, let alone instructor. I know there are minimums to meet for that, but I feel that even that is setting the bar way to low. I would not feel anywhere near comfortable at 50 dives for being responsible for fellow divers. I have been out with people that had even less experience than me, and I can see it, and have even called a dive or two, just because I did not feel my "buddy" was fit enough, or up to par for the dive location. Most dives I have done with either my open water instructor, or the owner of my LDS (who has been an excellent instructor as well), the ones I have done without an instructor, I am comfortable with, but to only have to worry about myself and one other person is one thing.

Brent

"Raising the bar" is what the agencies I've trained with over the last three years are all about. It's daunting when you find out where the bar can be . . . But man, does it make diving more fun when you try to get there.

... When I make the jump to being a full instructor, I want to be sure that I will be a great one, one of true quality with the proper amount of real experience to back me up.

I feel that the dive community and society in general would be much better served if people were more concerned with getting actual training and learning rather than just getting certified....

:thumb: :thumb: Two thumb's up! Great attitude, and good luck in your pursuit!

Best wishes.

You are worried that you are not ready for a jump you are clearly qualified to do based on what you posted? Not sure what you are waiting for, you have the dive time, experience, and training to go forward. If you have the money, desire, or personal time is a different question.

You posted that folks/society would be better off "if people were more concerned with getting actual training and learning rather than just getting certified." Maybe this is partly true, but what exactly is "actual training and learning"? If it's taking class after class I'm not sure I agree. I believe experience counts, and large amounts of formal training is NOT required to gain experience and learn.

I'm honestly not sure what the point is beyond suggesting that many don't meet minimum standards. Not doubt, but many also exceed standards and dive frequently in relative comfort that comes with experience.

Training also involves listening to your instructors suggestions. He says you are ready, so what bar are you trying to clear, assuming you have the desire to be an instructor? The sooner you start, the sooner you will gain more knowledge and goals which is what you are suggesting folks need to do.

Dive Geek - Great post your attitude will take you a long way. I'm not saying all of you students will be able to tell but some will and really appreciate you for your dedication.

When I was on Submarines there was a culture of always wanting to know the most or More than anyone else about the boat or a system on the boat. It was always a challenge to find a question that someone needed to find the answer. Its a pretty good habit when your life may depend on how much know someday.

Oh Welcome to Scubaboard.

I applaud you attitude of quality.

However, I'd submit that there is a fine line between waiting until qualified & ready to advance, and, waiting until comfortable & stale.

The best skill progression occurs when you're challenged. Don't wait too long.

All the best, James

What an excellent first post! Quality posts are needed on this board to be heard above all the noise. I hope you will do more posting than lurking from now on. Since you've set the bar highly with this post, keep it up, and keep setting the standard for providing information higher as your participation and experience grows. Thanks. Really awesome comparison!

Want to be an instructor? :D

If I had found out how fun and relaxing diving is when I was a youngster I probably would have ended up going the full route with it but being a land-lubber confined to the Midwest all my life and concentrating on making a living (money) I didn't get the chance. If you can afford to live on the money available for your work, go for it.

I am similar. With my assistant instructing, as well as it will be when I take the jump to full instruction, is simply a part time engagement. I have my primary full time job, and just teach evenings and weekends. I make a bit of money but my primary reason for doing so is for the love of diving and teaching.

At any rate most of the money I do make just goes right back into gear purchases anyway.

Back
Top Bottom