Raising the Bar - certification verses training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You say he wasn't ready. But it seems he took the prerequisite courses from your store. It seems to me you should be questioning why someone your store certified as having these skills, didn't have them?

I would not expect someone straight out of AOW to have the skills necessary to take and complete the NAUI Master Diver course. That course is essentially the diving portion of the Divemaster training, and if taught correctly is very rigorous. I wouldn't even consider someone for that class until they had some reasonably significant diving experience under their weightbelt ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

As a new diver, here is my take on raising the bar and continuing with diver education. I currently have my basic OW certification, and am planning on doing my AOW in the near future. I had the opportunity to do my AOW after my basic OW cert., but I chose not to. Yes, I had the bare minimum qualifications to take the AOW, but, I was breathing my tank down to 700 psi in less than 35 minutes on dives to 80 feet (where maybe 5-7 minutes was spent at that depth. The average depth was 40-60 ft). Five months and 18 dives later (not a whole lot I know), I have my buoyancy in check and under control, as well as my breathing. I surface from 45-50 minute dive, with considerably more time spent at depths below 60 ft, with 1000-1200 psi remaining in my tank. And I can spend a good hour+ on shallower dives and return to the surface with the same amount of air. Now, I feel I am at a point where I could safely make a dive to 100+ feet and not run low or out of air, as well as get my nitrox cert. in order to extend my bottom time. With each dive I make, my SAC rates improve, and I feel as I gain more experience as a diver, they will continue to improve. But, at the same time, I don't want to be rushing to get one certification after the other, when I haven't improved upon the skill set that I have already developed. So now, five months after receiving my cert., I am considering doing my AOW. Unfortunately, for me, I will be heading away from ship life and the Caribbean for a few months, and returning home to New England just in time for winter. This leaves me with 2 choices, do I start my AOW when I'm home, or wait until March/April when I'm back on a ship, back to the crystal clear waters of the Caribbean. Seeing as I have never even swam in the Atlantic, maybe I'll just wait until spring and tune up my snowboard instead...

What the heck-Do it in NE with a 7 mil wetsuit. Then you'll stay in shape and be ready to just dive in the Carib.

Dive Geek I hope you carry that great attitude with you when you do become an instructor.

As a relatively new diver myself your comments about minimum standards rang very true. The biggest thing I've learned since I did my OW is that I've got so much more to learn and so much more to practice to gain real proficiency in the water. The student you described reminded me a lot of one of the students in the AOW course I took last summer - the amount of silt he stirred up due to very poor buoyancy control was horrendous and he went ballistic when the instructor suggested he needed more work on basic skills, suffice it to say he did not complete the course.

All I can say is that I'm exceptionally lucky that there a great bunch of divers locally willing to dive and share their knowledge with a newbie like me.

"Cs and Ds equal degrees," now that's funny.

I also heard, "If the minimum wasn't good enough, it wouldn't be the minimum." :D

Back
Top Bottom