Not understanding the short hose thing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaInChicago

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Please help me out, I have been diving a long hose setup for a couple of hundred dives now and cannot remember what I was thinking when diving with a 30" primary hose. Was it because it was what came with my regulator when I purchased it? Was it because it my LDS said it was unnecessary, and only those tech guys dive that way? Did I really think it was more streamlined?

I personally have been able to use the long hose in so many scenarios, emergencies and not, OW and overhead, that I think it has earned it's weight in gold (at least the extra 54" worth).

I would be interested in hearing some logical reasons why the long hose is not the best of all worlds.

Thanks in advance....

In my six years as a Scubaboard member it has been interesting to watch the ebb and flow as new members bring their fervor to arguments most of the old-timers have rehashed too many times to still care. Of course there are some stalwarts who can be counted on each time the subject comes up, and I too have been lured into many frays I'd promised myself I would avoid for the twentieth time.

Congratulations, ScubaInChicago, you seem to have picked up the mantle abdicated years ago by, er...I don't remember who the DIR champion was back then. If I recall correctly, the DIR forums were created mostly because the old guard was tired of rehashing the same old arguments time and time again, and since then have been content to discuss bolt snaps, long hoses, and ratio deco in there, leaving a void out here for those of us who crave pointless and repetitive argumentation. Thanks for helping to fill that void!:wink:

Thanks for helping to fill that void!

Nature abhors a vacuum.

Congratulations, ScubaInChicago, you seem to have picked up the mantle abdicated years ago by, er...

The mantle may be up for sale soon, along with my Limited Edition Santa inspired Halcyon Pathfinder 400' reel if anyone is interested.

Nature abhors a vacuum.

Origin: Aristotle (ancient Greek philosopher and scientist, 384-322BC) first suggested that "nature abhors a vacuum" to explain why water pumps worked (an astute if not totally accurate observation).

Was this the intention and first implementation of the short hose?

It's not the length of your hose that counts, it's how you use it.

A long hose works quite well, but it's extra length is unnecessary in most situations. I'll be holding on to the OOA diver's BC and keeping eye contact until we're at the surface. The long hose still works, but is no better than standard length unless we're in an overhead with narrow passages. If you dive in those conditions, then I agree it has earned it's weight in gold. If not, you haven't needed it.

I'll be holding on to the OOA diver's BC and keeping eye contact until we're at the surface.

Why... you both can breathe now and there is no emergency at this point. Take the time to sort yourselves out and see if your problem is fixable. It may not be, and you may be correct that you are heading to the surface, but there is no need to do it in a less than safe manner. The inference I'm making from your wording is that the OOA diver needs to be babysat and is no longer capable of making a rational decision. This is why air sharing needs to be practiced frequently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom