• more

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • same

Votes: 8 9.3%
  • less

Votes: 14 16.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johan Broere

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I live in Guaymas, Mexico and and I am just wondering about your thoughts for 2010. The economic "crisis" has effected the tourist industry for sure. How optimistic should we, in the diving industry, be for 2010. Of course we all would like to spend thousands of dollars for new gear and exotic trips, but the reality is we would have to pay for it all. Please leave a constructive comment on what would have to change (or not) that would allow you to be active in the diving sport. I am retired myself and do some instruction on the side, but many hotels, restaurants and dive shops must wonder what 2010 will bring.
Thanks for your time and please visit us at Dive San Carlos - Home.
Meet you just above the bottom, Johan.

Last edited:
What you just did, only finish your question. ----------I'll comment on some of it. The National economy doesn't have anything to do with my diving trips but I am sure that it hinders others. I'm retired, on a fixed income and couldnt care less about a job. Most of my decisions have to do with available flights and their cost. If traveling to Mexico I go to Cozumel because I can get a good price on a hotel and dive shop combination there and they have some great diving. But the flight is about $400 more than where I usually fly to which is Ft. Lauderdale and then on to the Upper Keys. I do save a hundred of so by not renting a car in Mexico but it's still $300 more. Then I consider the weather. It's usually warmer in Coz than the Keys in January and February so that has an impact.----------If I was living where you are I'd not even consider going anywhere else to dive unless I wanted to dive some wrecks. Lucky you.

Every year I want to dive more than I did the year before but it doesn't always work out. Since I live in Arizona I know the drug war violence is concentrated mainly in the border areas and doesn't necessarily reach down into San Carlos. Do you think those that don't know the difference are staying away from San Carlos because of percieved violence and crime?

I know that my lds has scheduled quite a few trips to San Carlos in the last few years but had to cancel due to lack of response, he believes primarily because of the economy. I'm always bummed as the shop I used to use went to SC once a month (now out of business) and I really miss going down there.

Every year I want to dive more than I did the year before but it doesn't always work out. Since I live in Arizona I know the drug war violence is concentrated mainly in the border areas and doesn't necessarily reach down into San Carlos. Do you think those that don't know the difference are staying away from San Carlos because of percieved violence and crime?

No doubt about that! I often meet people who -- when they find I live less than five miles from the border -- are astonished that we are not embroiled in daily gun battles. %*&^%& news. :shakehead:

I know that my lds has scheduled quite a few trips to San Carlos in the last few years but had to cancel due to lack of response, he believes primarily because of the economy. I'm always bummed as the shop I used to use went to SC once a month (now out of business) and I really miss going down there.

I hear you! It means we have to buddy up to more than one LDS (Don't forget Tucson!) so that we can have the same dive availability.

I had a rather quiet 2008 so it was not difficult to dive more in 2009. I have some rather ambitious plans for 2010 including some more Tech diving and my first trip to the Carribean.

The economy has made virtually no difference to anyone I know - except cheap flights are becoming as rare as hens teeth. If anything I cold have dropped my mortgage payments instead of using the current position to pay off more capital- and be way better off than last year. I'd probably not choose Mexico as a destination, as the highly developed resort diving isn't my idea of fun. 2010 I've got a week In Scapa Flow ( cheap, it's reasonably local), I think 7 weekends planned for diving in assorted places, and will probably aim for a weeks diving somewhere warm in October

A bit less this year than in 2008 :(. I had less holidays this year but I am planning to do better in 2010!

Back
Top Bottom