Has anyone worked as an instructor aboard a cruise ship?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaCollin

Reaction score
Topic is self explanatory, but I'll give some context as to why Im asking the question. I'm currently finishing my last year of my degree to which I'd like to spend a couple years traveling before I end up in my final place of employment. Scuba diving has always been something which fascinated me (joined in 2003) but I haven't gotten as much diving in as I had originally wanted to due to school.

Starting in the spring I'm going to start on the path towards getting my instructor and from there I plan on applying to some cruise lines for their dive instructor. However before doing so I was wondering if anyone has worked in this position and if they wouldn't mind sharing their experiences. I had already talked to someone else on the island a couple days ago (Im in the USVI currently) and they loved it and through working for royal Caribbean he subsequently got to see 47 different countries while doing what he loved (diving). This sounds like an absolute blast to me, but I'm not naive as to the hardships that are accompanied with this job. I'd just like to hear stories from other people who have worked on cruise lines and whether they liked it or not.

Thank you in advance for your replies and I look forward to reading them.

I work on ships, although as an entertainment tech and not a dive instructor. The only thing I can imagine is that you wouldn't necessarily get to go to some of the better dive sites on the islands since you would more than likely be going out on the dive tours with the guests. In my (very limited dive related) experience, some parts of the reefs you go to on a tour are somewhat dead looking. I have done the ship sponsored tours, and they are generally cattle boats. I've hit much better dive sites chartering a boat (that is not the same company the ship uses) with my friends than on the ship sponsored tour (we once chartered a boat with them and went to the same dive sites the guests did, which we had also done, repeatedly). If you have any questions on ship life in general, I'll be happy to answer them though

Thanks for the reply rivers, it is my understanding though that the staff members do get time off every now and then on the ports. I'm sure the dives I would be doing with customers would be of the cattle boat variety but on my time off I could probably hit up some of the advanced dive sites.

Or maybe that's not the case in regards to dive instructors, wed probably get most of the time off in between ports rather than at them. But then again thats another question to ask, how many instructors are used per boat, and if there are several Id assume they rotate per port. Who knows.

Like I said, not a dive instructor and I work for Carnival so we don't have them. I just went off of what I know of similar positions (such as the golf pro. he/she gives lessons throughout the cruise and then goes on all the golf/country club excursions in port). It is definitely something to check out if your interested. Most of the staff do get port time off (much of which I used to dive once I was certified). I love working on ships and I do encourage you to check it out.

I would wonder if NCL and Carnival might prefer the dive opts they already contracted with at the port of calls as provider's for their instructors on board. From my understanding, Carnival is acquiring and owning alot of the on shore excursions - so perhaps you can man these dive shops for them. The problem is competing with the low wages of the port of calls. My understanding is that crew members make $500 to $1000 a month, working excess of 60 hours a week to earn bonuses. That is not very high by US standard. I imagine that native dive instructors make little too. At least in the caribbean. Like many divemasters locally, who work for free, just for the opportunity to dive; I would not doubt if there are many volunteer instructors who wants to teach scuba in exchange for free cruise. We met a rabbi who did that, in exchange for his presense on the ship.

I would wonder if NCL and Carnival might prefer the dive opts they already contracted with at the port of calls as provider's for their instructors on board. From my understanding, Carnival is acquiring and owning alot of the on shore excursions - so perhaps you can man these dive shops for them. The problem is competing with the low wages of the port of calls. My understanding is that crew members make $500 to $1000 a month, working excess of 60 hours a week to earn bonuses. That is not very high by US standard. I imagine that native dive instructors make little too. At least in the caribbean. Like many divemasters locally, who work for free, just for the opportunity to dive; I would not doubt if there are many volunteer instructors who wants to teach scuba in exchange for free cruise. We met a rabbi who did that, in exchange for his presense on the ship.

non-tipped crew members probably make on average between $1200-$2000+ depending on the position (an assistant fitter/mechanic in the engine room makes about $1300, whereas a fitter/mechanic makes about $1800). I make more money on a ship than I did on land. Plus, I have no expenses. Also, if as an entertainment tech, if I have a group function, I make a very nice hourly sum of money (I have made over $1000 extra in a cruise for groups) Tipped positions make a small salary and can make bank in tips. I'm not going to lie, the hours for MOST (not all) positions are long. I have done upwards of 90+ hours in a week, but I've done 120+ (with no overtime) over an 8 day period on land. It all swings in roundabouts.

I think the NCL cruises in Hawaii that hired American workers paid $590 a month for the low end workers. That must be why they went on strike and NCL pulled out of the market? They were promised like $1700, but it implied that you "could make it" with tips and bonuses.

I think the NCL cruises in Hawaii that hired American workers paid $590 a month for the low end workers. That must be why they went on strike and NCL pulled out of the market? They were promised like $1700, but it implied that you "could make it" with tips and bonuses.

Possibly. Only reason I know what asst. fitter/mechanics and fitter/mechanics make is I had one as a spot op (which he did for extra cash). Obviously, the more skilled the position, the more $$ that position makes.

"Prep Cook- Salary $1400-1800/month. Prepares various food products for restaurant and banquet operations, guest consumption and enjoyment. Entry level training provided. Production Manager - Salary $2400-3000/month. Oversees production shows and supervising staff. Radio Officer - Salary $2400-2600/month. Receptionist - Salary $1800/2400/month. Primary Skills: Word; Excel; Power Point; Multi-line. Entry level training provided. Restaurant Manager - Salary $2600-3000/month. The position reports to the General Manager and is accountable for the operational results for the shift. Retail Sales Person - Salary $1400-2000/month. Proven sales ability, computer experience, and friendly phone personality, integrity, and enthusiasm complement your desire for success. Entry level training provided. Safety Officer - Salary $2600-3000/month. Specialized knowledge of regulatory and voluntary standards related to hospitality safety. Entry level training provided. Salon Manager - Salary $2800-3200/month. Oversees salon operations and accounting duties. Scuba Diving Instructor - Salary $1800-2400/month. CPR/First Aid certificate required. Second Cook - Salary $1600-1800/month. Performs various duties as set by first cook. Entry level training provided. Shore Excursion Manager - Salary $3000-3600/month. Oversees shore excursions at various ports. Show Dancer - Salary $3000-3600/month. Singers/Band - Salary $3200-7000/month. Slot Technician - Salary $ 2600-3200/month. Responsible for maintenance and repair of machines. Sound Light Technician - Salary $1800-2000/month. Operates and repairs sound amplifying systems and lighting systems used. Entry level training provided. Sous Chef - Salary $2200/2600/month. Culinary degree and extensive experience required. High organization skills overseeing multiple banquet event production and execution. Copyright © 2005 Cruise International. All rights reserved."

Of course, one need to consider that the NCL cruise line promised $1750 to a crew member who actually earned only $590 a month.

Money is not an issue, this is more for the experience. Plus like rivers said, your expenses are very little almost everything is provided for on a cruise ship.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom