LBTS during the winter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Talon

Contributor
Reaction score
The wife and I "discovered" the joys of LBTS this past summer. We got a good half dozen dives in before August, but have not been back since. We really enjoyed the calm conditions. We had flat seas everytime and at least 20+ feet of viz. How is LBTS in Jan through March??? We would like to go back down, but concerned that the conditions this time of year may be MUCH less then ideal.

I normally dive of off charter boats and realize the the seas tend to be a little chopper during these months. I assume you really need to wait for a nice calm forecast to do the dive???? How is the viz this time of year? I HATE brail (sp??) diving.

Any suggestions, tips, or comments???? Really looking forward to the feedback.

Michael

The seas and the viz are a crapshoot in the winter...just like in the summer. There are no promises. Sometimes we get the very best viz of the entire year due to lack of algae blooms. Sometimes the west winds make it flat enough for water skiing.

The worst thing will be parking, LBTS is hugely popular with snowbirds during the winter. The other thing is that the water will be much cooler in the winter, and the air could be as well (it's a chilly 45 out today, brrrr!)

If you can hold off on making reservations until a few days before, you could check the marine forecast. If you have to do it now, it's a crapshoot. Just like every other month of the year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom