Its so simple

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SolarStorm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So simple and yet so Irish...

So Paddy asks Murphy, "Why do Scuba divers always fall backwards off their boats?"

To which Murphy replies, "You thick idiot, if they fell forwards they'd still be in the ******in' boat"

We just got back from Playa Del Carmen and 12 days of diving. My daughter and I are now an OWD certified.

Some things I learned:

1. Extreamley happy we bought our own equipment. Absolutely love the Atom 2 computers we bought (once I finally figgured it all out)

2. Not all divers are prepared to dive.

3. My daughter doesnt breath underwater. Or at least her air consonsumption is that of a gnat.

4. My favorite buddy is my daughter. We did dive 3 in extreame waves and surge. If she can manage to gear up in that water, swim a straight line and hold it all together, even after getting sea sick 3 times, she is OK in my book.

5. I lucked out with 2 insta buddies on 2 dives I did without my daughter. Others were not so lucky. But then again, I saw none of them really talking with their insta buddy pre dive. I even found a translator for my itallian insta buddy and we had a good dive. (actually one of the best)

6. I have a lot to learn yet and want to learn more.

7. We did a couple of extra pool sessions on our own before leaving. This was a good idea, and I would recommend it to some of the divers who have not been diving for a while including the guy that had not dove for 8 years!

8. It was WAY too much fun.

9. Dive equip is a PITA to lug through the airport.

10. There are good photographers and others that are a PITA. There are also good dive groups and there are some that well... (See item 7)

As a guy who runs a salmon fishing boat on Lake Michigan every year, try less drowsy Dramamine or Bonine for the sea sickness, it works for most people on my boat. Ginger Ale helps the stomach too.

Glad you had a good time.

Welcome to the world of spending too much money, and lasting memories...

Frank

The Mythbusters found that ginger was just about as effective in helping with motion sickness as the best OTC remedies.

I've read that women tend to be better on their air consumption than men. My air management is getting better, but my wife from the first dive was going through air much slower than I do. I'm not sure why that is, but she'll get as much time out of a shorty as I'll get out of a full-sized tank.

Much of my improvement has been from air management tips I've learned here on SB.

Coming from one who regularly chums the water . . . :vomit:

Talk to your doctor about sea-sickness. He'll teach you the ways you can try medications, and authorize greater dosages. Still, sometimes nothing works. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!

The only good thing about being sick is that I am such a good example for those experiencing it for the first time. :shakehead:

Im not too worried about her sea sickness. It was only the one dive, and 10 out of 12 people fed the fish.

Welcome to the club! Kiss yer credit cards (and your lunch) goodbye!!! See ya underwater sometime soon! (And everybody is ALWAYS learning underwater ... the day you know it all is the day someone ELSE puts you in the deep from the boat).
Congratulations!

Glad you had fun, both of my kids did Discover Scuba dives this past week and both want to do their OW this summer. I didn't really want to retire anyway...........

I am looking forward to having a couple of new dive buddies. :eyebrow:

I loved your report - it was well-written and entertaining. As to your item #2, no, not everybody is well prepared (that is true with every human activity). Personally, I enjoy helping other people, so their unpreparedness is sometimes an opportunity for me to be useful.

On one dive trip in Cozumel we had an older (late 60's?) paraplegic guy in a wheelchair, who was helped into the water by the DMs and two lady friends. He used hand fins to swim. I'll bet their dive was the best one of anybody on the boat.

Coming from one who regularly chums the water . . . :vomit:

Talk to your doctor about sea-sickness. He'll teach you the ways you can try medications, and authorize greater dosages. Still, sometimes nothing works. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!

The only good thing about being sick is that I am such a good example for those experiencing it for the first time. :shakehead:

and I thought we could dive together when you got here ha ha, cant be any worst then diving on the 31st conditions were bad here, but are better now

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom