Diving Jupiter Sunday 1/31/10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ehlbly

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We are supposed to be diving on Sunday 1/31/10. There are 6 of us going but the forcast is not cooperating. This is the forcast for Sun.
SUNDAY
NORTH WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET BUILDING TO
5 TO 7 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. SLIGHT CHANCE OF
Should we hold off for a week or is this weather OK for diving. Just wanting some input please. There is one 14 yr old diving with his father who is an advanced diver.

Tell us what's up Sandy. . . . feel free to call him a wimp too. . . but bear in mind, the group of us going with the exception of 2, are novice divers.

. . .Found something on another thread from JupiterMermaid:
"All the sites JDC takes its divers to are spectacular. That's why there are so many repeat customers, both locally and from other states and countries. I know you're going to enjoy the marine life you'll see and have a good time.

This is the forcast for the upcoming weekend. It's subject to (and usually does) change. Many times (excluding this past Sunday....lol) 6'-8' waves will be forcasted and we get 2'-3.'
Friday Night
South winds 14 to 19 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet. Intracoastal waters a light chop. Slight chance of showers.
Saturday
Southwest winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Chance of showers and slight chance of thunderstorms.
Saturday Night
Northwest winds 16 to 21 knots. Near shore...seas 2 to 3 feet building to 3 to 5 feet. In the Gulf Stream...seas 4 to 6 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Slight chance of showers.
Sunday
Northeast winds 16 to 21 knots. Seas 6 to 8 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop."

Sunday's weather has really calmed down... but... it's that time of year...

Sunday: W wind 13 to 17 kt becoming NNE in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 24 kt. Mostly sunny. Seas 2 ft building to 5 ft. Intracoastal waters a light chop.

I was planning on going caving up in North FL...but I hear the caves are all blown out..so my backup was to do a charter dive out of West Palm this Sunday...however I looked at the forecast as well. If it stays the way it is, its not going to be a fun day out on the water. Viz will probably be down and currents ripping :idk:

I need to dive somewhere this Sunday...darnit..

We are supposed to be diving on Sunday 1/31/10. There are 6 of us going but the forcast is not cooperating. This is the forcast for Sun.
SUNDAY
NORTH WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET BUILDING TO
5 TO 7 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. SLIGHT CHANCE OF
Should we hold off for a week or is this weather OK for diving. Just wanting some input please. There is one 14 yr old diving with his father who is an advanced diver.

I was out yesterday off of Boynton and it was a bit snotty, but not unbearable. It was a real variable 3-6 feet with a wind chop on top. But I am on the water typically 3-4 days a week so I am used to all sorts of sea conditions and rough weather does not bother me.

It really depends on YOUR threshold of whether it is 'worth it' to dive. Someone posted that the majority of the divers are novices; is that novices to boat diving or diving in general? If you and and your equipment are up to the task, give it a go; it's the only way your going to get experience diving less than ideal conditions.

However, if ANY person in your dive group feels uncomfortable with it, or if the boat you selected does not have competent captain/crew, don't go.

[offtopic]Cyberfed, I'm not a cave diver so I am curious, what does it mean that caves are all blown out? Did the weather do something to the vis?

[offtopic]Cyberfed, I'm not a cave diver so I am curious, what does it mean that caves are all blown out? Did the weather do something to the vis?

I was wondering this myself. I would of thought the caves would have been a good alternative when the seas are not cooperating. Not the other way around.

Curious. . . . if this trip were to be postponed for 2 weeks, do you think that a) the seas are really likely to be calmer by then and b)will the lemons still be there?

I was planning on going caving up in North FL...but I hear the caves are all blown out..darnit..

I too am not familar with caves being blown out. What happens to them? Saltwater divers multi-ask

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom