What Is This Creature?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BHB ScubaTroll

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I dove Blue Heron Bridge on February 22, 2010 and spotted something I've never seen and haven't been able to ID so far.

This is approx. 6", translucent with a white tip at one end. This white tip must be its head because all movements were made in that direction. It moved against current and perpendicular to the current, so I am sure it is not just a piece of junk floating on the current.

Its translucence interfered with the cameras ability to take a clear shot that is in focus...

unknown1002227.jpg

unknown1002222a.jpg

unknown1002226.jpg

unknown1002225.jpg

unknown1002221.jpg

Can anyone help me ID this creature from the "Blue" Lagoon?

We have an ID!

This is a leptocephalus = Larval eel

Eel, Anguilla sp., The larval stage of an eel called a Leptocephalus. These are the newly hatched eels which drift along ocean currents...

ID courtesy of Leslie H. Harris, Collection Manager,
LACM-Allan Hancock Foundation Polychaete Collection
Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County

Cool!

It's actually a new super secret US military weapon. You just leaked the news.

Hmm, at 6" I guess my kids won't see it snorkeling when we come to FL in mid-March.

Last edited:
I think it is a "fruit roll up" that my son dropped there last summer when we went kayaking over to Peanut Island. It appears that the artificial color has bleached out.
He said he would still like to try to eat it.
Chug
Is a smarty pants.

Last edited:
Wow! that is soooooooooooo kule! I wonder if this is the same thing that Laurel found...
GOtta keep your eyes open.. for sure!

Very cool. Never seen one of those before.

Interesting name. Lepto ce phalus . Whoever the chick was who named it needs to get out more.. IJS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom