Tank/weight rental question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mastakebob

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a question about renting tanks. Me and my buddy are going to be down in FL for 4 days of diving. Doing one day in Palm Beach, one day in Key Largo, one day on Key Looe (Looe Key?), and one day in Key West. We have all of our own equipment except tanks and weights. Is it cheaper to do a 4 day rental of tanks/weights and just transport them from location to location and pay for air fills for each dive, or is it cheaper to just do the tank rentals at each dive operation on a one-off basis?

We're not doing any tech diving, just Air and maybe some Nitrox for the wrecks.

I realize there's probably not a clear answer here, just looking for a general feeling. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance.

To keep things simple, I would rent tanks at each location. You will not have to worry about space to transport, waiting on air, and possibly driving out of the way to return the tanks.

Sounds like a good trip - have fun.

You'll be able to rent filled tanks from many places. At those places, if you bring your own tanks, they may not be able to do air fills right away, and make you wait. Just that along would be reason enough to rent from each location. Well, I guess you can get air fills at the end of each dive, but might have to wait too.

If you rent, they may take the tanks on the boat. But if you bring your own tanks, you'll need to haul them everywhere.

If you haul tanks from location to location, that'll be 4 tanks (assuming 2 dives each) for you and your buddy in the car.

Sounds like a lot of work to me.

Last edited:
Many if not most of us include tanks and air with a modest fee for Nitrox

Don't forget to ask the dive operator the night before on the wreck or reef your diving and if they offer nitrox to have the proper mixes bottled up for you in the morning,
yes most boat / shops have tanks,lead is on the boat.
I bring a mess of tanks down,all current vis & hydros it saves me the hassle of running tanks back to a shop when we first hit spring country, But beware older tanks mostly Al's some shops will not fill even if they are not on the list, we dive lots of steels and some are old to and I have got the look!
Brad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom