DIR for recreational divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lazlow

New
Reaction score
Is there anything similar to DIR guidelines for recreational diver? Reading DIR, I got stuck between left and right manifold posts :)

However, I've heard the idea to donate a reg from mouth, not octopus several times from different instructors.

Is there OWD-adapted DIR or similar?

But it's not finished yet. I'm very curious to see what that will look like. I'm wondering if they'll loosen their equipment guidelines a little or not.

After reading a bunch of diving mishap stories on Scubadiving Magazine's website, I have a lot more appreciation for their approach. It's very "military", but then I spent 10 years on active duty, so I'm kinda comfortable with that. The military understands that aside from practice, practice, practice, and mindset, the biggest part about remaining calm in high adrenalin situations is having well-developed standards in equipment and procedures. DIR recognizes this fact. Those who haven't been in the military probably feel like these guys are the equipment gestapo and their constitutional rights are being violated, but for technical diving, having a standardized TOE (Table of Equipment) and one way of doing things no doubts has saved lives, probably many.

I'm only a recreational diver, but I'm going to get a long hose for my primary reg, because from what I've read their thinking on this makes all the sense in the world. After some more diving I think I will take the DIR-F course. But right now, I'm not contemplating any technical diving so I'm not going to replace my BC, although as I incrementally replace gear, I'm likely to move in their direction. I just ordered their book.

Well, the hogarthain gear set-up is easily adaptable to recreational diving.

I myself am a recreational diver, have taken the DIR-F class, and see many benefits to the wholistic system that they utilize. A BP/W even for a single tank set-up is more stable than any BCD, and more versatile, as it can still be used to support doubles and other types of diving. The long hose has several advantages...but if you have to dive with a snorkel, it can get tangled in that. There is a lot to the system, and I am not qualified to talk about it without help.

There is a very good write up on DIR by Cave Diver that I cross-posted to this board a week or so ago. I'll link the thread when I find it.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=335889#post335889

Lazlow once bubbled...
Is there anything similar to DIR guidelines for recreational diver? Reading DIR, I got stuck between left and right manifold posts :)

Is there OWD-adapted DIR or similar?
The book by GUE founder Jarrod Jablonski did a pretty good job of separating out what is applicable to rec vs. tech diving. It's available at www.gue.org , $25 IIRC.

Even if you don't make a single change to your gear, the book has a lot to review and ponder on fitness levels, appropriate skill requirements for different levels of diving, and overall dive philosophy.

Back
Top Bottom