Conference in Ft Lauderdale, where to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

farsidefan1

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The end of June I have a conference in Ft Lau. It will only run 3 days so I thought, hmmm, never been diving around Florida. One thing lead to another:crafty:. So I could rent a car and drive down to ... wherever. Or just hang around and dive the F.L. area. Any suggestions? I'd like to dive 3 or 4 days 2-4 dives a day. I would like to stay at some place where I can store my gear (hate hauling it to the boat everyday) so extra credit for a place that will store and rinse my gear so I can just dive. I prefer diving from a boat. Although I'm certified for wreck diving (or a certified wreck) I enjoy critters more. Open to suggestions - thanks:confused:

Hmmm, here 30 years and never heard it called "Fort Lau". It would be pronounced "Fort Law" and that just seems weird. But anyway. I live here because I love diving here, and I highly recommend that you give our local waters a try! We have awesome wrecks and reefs and we sure do have lots of critters on both the wrecks and the reefs; in fact, the wrecks are critter magnets.

I highly recommend my personal favorite dive op, Sea Experience. Not sure if they would rinse and store your gear but I'll bet if you asked them that they would. They are very customer service oriented. A nice tip for the divemaster wouldn't hurt. :wink:

Since you love critters, if you have a Friday or Sunday morning free, drive the 80-90 minutes south to Key Largo and do Captain Slate's Creature Feature. Or drive the 40 or so minutes north to Boynton Beach and dive with Divemaster of the Year Kev Metz of Underwater Explorers. DEFINITELY lots of big critters in Boynton!

Hey, when out of towners visit, we like diving with them schedule permitting. Closer to your visit, if you want some SB company post your plans and maybe some of us will join you!

:D Since I had spelled out Lauderdale in the title I didn't have time to type it again in the body of my post. Yeah, I'm not speedy on the keyboard:dork2:This sounds fun although I still would like more info before deciding to stay in, you know, that, er, FL place or head further south. Meeting with a group of scubaboarders would infuence me. I've had some great trips where I knew no one and came back with a bunch of friends (Dutch, is it ok, if I call you a friend? and could you cosign for me....)? Anyway hope to hear form some of your more southernly located Floridians (uh, oh, I probably didn't spell that correctly either, sigh :wink:

As to tipping I'm a BIG believer! If they take away my headaches they should be and will be rewarded in a very nice way (I have references:).

PS, it would be nice to find reasons not to drive all the way down south, especially if the diving is just as nice up north but good diving is the key.

Last edited:
Good diving and good diving infrastructure anywhere between Marathon in the Middle Keys all the way north to Jupiter and June is a great time to be here.

There are lot's of folks in the Greater Fort Lauderdale area who love showing off our excellent diving. Count me in, what are the dates?

Good diving and good diving infrastructure anywhere between Marathon in the Middle Keys all the way north to Jupiter and June is a great time to be here.
Let me emphasize what my good friend and dive buddy has just stated.

Another thought - any dive resorts in the area? hotel/motel at the dock? Sounds tempting to just stay in the area.

Sea Experience is docked at Bahia Mar, a big resort which is right across the street from the beach. Walking distance to pretty much everything.

Hotels/on-site dive ops
Bahia Cabana/Sea Experience
Bahia Mar/Pro Dive
Actually Sea Experience is at Bahia Mar. Pro Dive is not attached to any resort but there is a restaurant in the same building. I don't think any dive ops are at Bahia Cabana.

Sweet! You folks are awesome! No matter what those guys over in Georgia say about you. Seriously, thanks for all the great input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom