Oil slick in the Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JRO

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm heading down to the Keys in about 2 weeks and I just started hearing that the Gulf oil spill is creeping its way down there. Is this true? If so, when is it expected and how devastating will it be?

I will be in the Dry Tortugas in July. I hope the spill does not ruin my trip.

JRO, hey don't think we really have to worry for a while, we hope the cleanup is successful as it seems to be going and that by the time any residue would be here it would be harmless, we surely aren't changing any plans and haven't gotten any cancellations, we can only hope for the best but aren't in a panic for sure, like so many of the news medias always over play any situation, they gotta sell papers and get listeners, same old BS. So come on down.

Captain Slate, I totally disagree with your opinion of, "don't think we have to worry for a while". Im personally shocked at how many people aren't seeing this as the the nations most serious issue at hand. I just read an article about the potential effect of the gulf current and the oil slick. If and when it reaches the current, scientist are saying it is the EAST coast of Florida that will more than likely be the worst effected. I personally think the more media attention it gets, the more help might go towards fixing it. And last check, BP's 2nd attempt (Sun) failed as well.

Captain Slate, I totally disagree with your opinion of, "don't think we have to worry for a while". Im personally shocked at how many people aren't seeing this as the the nations most serious issue at hand. I just read an article about the potential effect of the gulf current and the oil slick. If and when it reaches the current, scientist are saying it is the EAST coast of Florida that will more than likely be the worst effected. I personally think the more media attention it gets, the more help might go towards fixing it. And last check, BP's 2nd attempt (Sun) failed as well.

I agree. It's 20 or 30 miles from the gulf stream and once it hits that things will be REALLY bad.

Captain Slate:
JRO, hey don't think we really have to worry for a while, we hope the cleanup is successful as it seems to be going and that by the time any residue would be here it would be harmless, we surely aren't changing any plans and haven't gotten any cancellations, we can only hope for the best but aren't in a panic for sure, like so many of the news medias always over play any situation, they gotta sell papers and get listeners, same old BS. So come on down.

A bit optimistic don't ya think? As far as I've heard the cleanup isn't going too well.

A bit optimistic don't ya think? As far as I've heard the cleanup isn't going too well.

In his position, he has to be optimistic... What's the alternative?

It isn't going well and they don't seem to have a plan B. This could be worse than the Exxon Valdez because the amount of oil is potentially unlimited. This could go on like an oil well fire and be leaking for months.

It will affect the Keys and the East coast, but it will probably take weeks or months. So go diving now while you can. The affects will linger for years like the Exxon Valdez or the Yellowstone fire.

The latest projections now have it heading west towards Texas. This time of the year we have strong e/se winds which will keep it away from the loop for now.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom