Objective fin reviews?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ravisurdhar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The latest test I can find dates back to late 2007, here: www[DOT]scubadiving[DOT]com/gear/2007/11/18-new-fins. Are there any newer tests since then comparing some of the newer fins on the market?

Sorry about the link formatting, it won't let me post links yet.

those test were a long way from objective, unless the objective was to sell the fin with the highest paying marketing.

Jim Grier was mostly objective- Fins -- In depth (2002)
Then there are the studies performed at UofBuffalo- but those are not comparisons in a way that is useful to the average reader, those attempt to describe the physics of how fins work and which fins have the best physiological function. Nobody wants to believe the results of those studies anyway.

The question of objective is really hard to answer, any one who receives advertising dollars are not objective by definition. Even people that are not being compensated have personal preferences that makes it very difficult to be objective. The best thing that you can do it try different styles in different environments and see what works best for you.

I have never seen a fin review that I have really trusted. I have seen really crap fins that were soon off the market get rave reviews in supposedly objective magazines. I think you should first think long and hard about the type of fin you are interested in and then seek answers in forums like this. Sure, you will find rabid people spouting extreme rot, but you can learn to filter that out. I have seen dome very thoughtful discussions of fins on this site. But first, you have to narrow it down to the general type of fin you are seeking.

The problem is, I'm currently at school in new york. I get home on May 20th, then leave on the 24th for Australia. I need to get some fins before then, but I don't have a ton of time to try them out at a shop before I leave (there isn't a dive shop within 100 miles from me, and now that it's exam time, I don't have the time to drive really far just to try out a few pairs of fins. At home we have a great shop, but I'm afraid their inventory will be limited). I don't want to buy fins just on hearsay, but I also can't really try them out myself before I leave.

The problem is, I'm currently at school in new york. I get home on May 20th, then leave on the 24th for Australia. I need to get some fins before then, but I don't have a ton of time to try them out at a shop before I leave (there isn't a dive shop within 100 miles from me, and now that it's exam time, I don't have the time to drive really far just to try out a few pairs of fins. At home we have a great shop, but I'm afraid their inventory will be limited). I don't want to buy fins just on hearsay, but I also can't really try them out myself before I leave.

What sort of fins are you looking to get? Do you need speed or maneuverability etc?
Basically these are my thoughts:

1. Paddle fins are the most basic and powerful fins, suitable for when you're lugging heavy gear like doubles/deco bottles etc. They are also the best for frog kicks.
Jets are old, reliable but have bad foot pockets, quarttros are ok but long n gave me cramps, slipstreams are newer, reasonable but stiffer n have bad foot pockets but lighter than the jets. Hollis F1 are interesting but haven't tried them yet.

2. Splits are best for speed, surface swims, works best with flutter kicks n generally not that maneuverable. Great for recreational diving. Atomics smoke are ok but long n not quite as durable as the apollos. Apollos are the standard for me when it comes to splits but are heavy n can feel floppy when you first try them.

3. Unusual fins are the force fins (never quite figured them out). Seawing nova, interesting concept n seems catered towards the general diving community. Fast, comfy but not quite as powerful as the jets.

SangP

Trying them out is an issue. Very few shop will let you try them out or have facilities to do so. Did you think you were going to a shoe store?

Enee memee minee moe....

Back
Top Bottom