Deco reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikemill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Got pointed to a good deal on a AL40 so now I need to get a regulator for it. Long term (i.e. after training) is to use it as a 100% O2 bottle. Anyone have a recommendation for the regulator? The valve is a 200bar DIN.

Thanks

Whatever you do, get something good. There just might come a day when you're spending more time at 20ft then you did on the bottom, and having a crappy reg sucks. It should also be able to function as a reg for a stage bottle.

I've got a lot of mk25/g250s on deco/stage regs, though I like the mk16 style house routing a bit more.

Whatever you do, get something good. There just might come a day when you're spending more time at 20ft then you did on the bottom, and having a crappy reg sucks. It should also be able to function as a reg for a stage bottle.

I've got a lot of mk25/g250s on deco/stage regs, though I like the mk16 style house routing a bit more.

During my adv nitrox/deco class I utilized one of the instructor's regs & deco bottle and ingested about a half gallon of salt water breathing from the POS during the 20 min stop. Maddening!

What are you using for backgas? Buying something for a deco reg that minimises the parts you need should something go wrong is not a bad idea.

Generally, most regs will work fine. I've used Scubapro mk20 with r395 second stages for a while, but I've also used HOG regs, DiveRite, Apek etc.

Personally, I much prefer regs with turret first stages - the rotation of the turret allows you to stow the hose neatly and get the hose routed comfortably when in use. I've found non-turret first stages tend to produce a feeling that the hose is too short and is being pulled out of your mouth.

What are you using for backgas? Buying something for a deco reg that minimises the parts you need should something go wrong is not a bad idea.

Generally, most regs will work fine. I've used Scubapro mk20 with r395 second stages for a while, but I've also used HOG regs, DiveRite, Apek etc.

Personally, I much prefer regs with turret first stages - the rotation of the turret allows you to stow the hose neatly and get the hose routed comfortably when in use. I've found non-turret first stages tend to produce a feeling that the hose is too short and is being pulled out of your mouth.

2 x Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - 3000 Regulator (though thinking of getting the 3100 for the port on top for betting routing)

2 x Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - 3000 Regulator (though thinking of getting the 3100 for the port on top for betting routing)

I've still got a 3000 that I keep for "stage reg emergencies".... it works fine.

I suspect (though I'm not 100% convinced) that the HOG 5th port upgrade will fit the DiveRite regs. In which case you could buy one 3100 and one 5th port upgrade to use on your backgas. Then get one of the 3000s cleaned for use as a deco reg.

DiveRite might even do their own 5th port upgrade??

I mostly use SP Mk25s with s600s, though what I have one stage reg with an R390 'octo' second stage.

Got a poorly breathing reg? Add a little Helium.

It's amazing going from helium (backgas) to 50% (deco gas) using the same regs. Breathing resistance is like night and day.

I've been using the HOGs recently and really like them. They are a little heavier (the 1sts) I think than an MK25 or DS4.

They are made well and work great.

Only issue is if you dont service your own gear, you might get a better deal over time on a reg that has "free parts for life" ... as long as you service them at the correct times...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom