Student drowns in scuba class off Pompano

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Student drowns in scuba class off Pompano

By Shannon O'Boye
Staff Writer
Posted August 21 2003

A 60-year-old New York woman drowned off Pompano Beach on Wednesday morning after her scuba instructor lost contact with her at the start of a lesson, a Broward Sheriff's Office spokeswoman said.

Cynthia Kratter had not yet connected to her air tank when she tried to adjust one of her fins, said Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Liz Calzadilla. At the same time, Paride DeCalice, her instructor from the American Dive Center in Boca Raton, was untying a buoy and lost sight of her.

He searched for Kratter for 10 minutes in a driving rainstorm before swimming back to the beach to dial 911 about 8:40 a.m.

DeCalice, 32, went back into the water to continue the search. Pompano Beach firefighters Greg Gurdak and Pat Bradley, who dived into the water and started swimming toward the dive flag as soon as they arrived, joined him.

DeCalice and Gurdak found the woman floating in 10-foot-deep water and pulled her to shore. Other medics who were waiting on the beach started CPR and rushed Kratter to nearby Imperial Point Medical Center, but doctors there pronounced her dead, Fire-Rescue spokeswoman Sandra King said.

Gurdak, who is also a pool lifeguard, had to go to the hospital as well because he was exhausted and swallowed a lot of water during the rescue attempt, King said. He was treated and released.

Kratter, of Forest Hills, got hooked on scuba diving when she tried it on a cruise six months ago, her son, Russell Kratter, said.

"She was in great health," he said. "How did she just float away?"

Reached by phone Wednesday, Edward Murphy, the dive school owner, said he knew no details of the incident and declined further comment. Sheriff's Office homicide detectives are investigating, and the Medical Examiner's Office will conduct an autopsy.

Kratter loved to travel and took walks or swam every day, her son said. She also traveled to Boca Raton monthly to visit her mother. She had flown in Tuesday night and had a diving lesson scheduled for Wednesday.

"She woke up early, she was all gung-ho, and that was it," her son said.

It was raining Wednesday morning, but the weather may not have contributed to the accident, several dive instructors said. Wind and waves are the key factors.

"Early in the morning, the water is usually the flattest and calmest, which is why you'd plan dives then," said Cindy Rosen of Lauderdale Diver in Fort Lauderdale.

Kratter and her instructor started their dive by carrying their gear across the beach and swimming into the ocean. That sort of "beach dive" is more difficult than going out on a boat, donning your gear while seated, and going into the water fresh, Rosen said.

There are no lifeguards in the area where Kratter was taking lessons, but it's popular with divers because there is a reef nearby.

Florida is the most popular state in the nation to learn scuba diving, according to the Professional Association of Diving Instructors web site. In 2001, 18 divers drowned in Florida, said Jon Rogers of the Divers Alert Network.

One of them was 55-year-old Michael Yargates, of Margate, who was taking scuba lessons from American Dive Center in Coral Springs, at the same location as Wednesday's drowning, just south of the Pompano Beach fishing pier.

While underwater on his second dive, Yargates motioned to his diving partner that he was ascending, officials said then. He swam away alone, and everyone assumed he was returning to shore, but they never saw him again. A helicopter spotted his body floating hours later.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/lo...aug21,1,452168.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines

What's really scary is that this outfit killed another student two years ago. That location was the one that wouldn't let me take my classes with them because I bought my equipment on line instead of through them. Thank goodness.

Marc

Posted on Wed, Aug. 20, 2003

Student diver dies off Pompano Beach
BY CYNTHIA DANIELS
cdaniels@herald.com

A 60-year-old New York woman died this morning in the ocean off Pompano Beach after being separated from her scuba diving instructor, Broward Sheriff's Office officials said.

The woman, a student diver who was not yet certified, was starting her lesson at around 8:30 a.m., BSO officials said.

She and her instructor from the American Dive Center in Boca Raton were about 100 feet offshore near the 3200 block of Southeast Eighth Street in Pompano Beach when bad weather rolled over the area. The two were still at the surface and the woman was using her snorkel. She tried to adjust one of her fins, and became separated from her instructor, BSO officials said.

Unable to find the student, the instructor returned to shore and called 911. After the call, he returned to the water and found the woman, unresponsive in 10 feet of water. He pulled her to shore and began CPR.

Pompano Beach Fire Rescue took the woman to Imperial Point Medical Center, where she died, BSO officials said.

The exact cause of death has yet to be determined. BSO will continue to investigate.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/6577096.htm

Something has to be missing here. How did the Instructor lose the Student?. Why didnt he run a box before exiting the water?
How did the fire fighter go right to the victim?

:confused:

This is quite sad but something smells bad with this storey.

"Cynthia Kratter had not yet connected to her air tank when she tried to adjust one of her fins, said Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Liz Calzadilla. At the same time, Paride DeCalice, her instructor from the American Dive Center in Boca Raton, was untying a buoy and lost sight of her"

Don't know how in the world this could happen when she is right in front of the instructor. What she just floated away? We are missing something here.

FLL Diver once bubbled...
Cynthia Kratter had not yet connected to her air tank when she tried to adjust one of her fins, said Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Liz Calzadilla.

What do they mean by this? A professional instructor took a student off of the beach, and into water over their heads and her gear wasn't "connected"?

Even if that just means her air was not turned on, isn't it normal do do a full gear check and get your regulator in your mouth before you start swimming out to the descent line?

Assuming that the article has the facts straight there is something seriously wrong here.

Scott

The second article seems to say that she was using her snorkle.....

As for the earlier comment about the firefighter "going right to the victim" I'm not sure I read the articles that way. The firefighters went to the dive flag, but nothing I read indicates that the firefighter found her right away.

The second article says that the instructor found the student.

My guess is that her B/C wasn't full of air, and she was negatively buoyant(makes sense to me...)...and the instructor turned his back (or otherwise lost sight) to do something with the float...

Sean

scubasean once bubbled...
The second article seems to say that she was using her snorkle.....

You still, absolutely, should test breathe both your primary and secondary regs before you leave the shallow water. This is especially true with a first time student. If her BC wasn't inflated for the surface swim out, that is also further negligence on the instructors part IMHO.

ScottyK once bubbled...
What do they mean by this? A professional instructor took a student off of the beach, and into water over their heads and her gear wasn't "connected"?

Even if that just means her air was not turned on, isn't it normal do do a full gear check and get your regulator in your mouth before you start swimming out to the descent line?

Assuming that the article has the facts straight there is something seriously wrong here. Scott

"Connected" was the word that struck me as odd. Perhaps it was written by someone unfamiliar w/ dive terminology. Could be what was intended was 'she didn't have her primary regulator in her mouth', which would make sense - snorkel out, switch to reg, dive. The way it reads led me to infer that her hoses were not 'connected' to tanks. Or maybe an inflator hose not connected to BC?

Scubasean, I'd agree about the negative bouyancy, except that she was bouyant enough to snorkel out to bouy? It appears they were about 300 feet off shore when she went under, so she had enough control, with gear on, to get out there.... (Not trying to start an arguement, just trying to understand & think through logically what could have occurred.)

The first article said the instructor was untying a float. We usually anchor floats for training at the bottom. He may have been at the bottom getting the float and left her alone at the surface.

If that's what happened the instructor has real trouble on his hands.

I'd be willing to bet that this was written by someone who has not the slightest inkling about scuba, and that the connected line was just the wording they chose to use.

Back
Top Bottom