"Flying the Line"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepSeaDan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
When diving to the bottom with the benefit of a down line/shot line/buoy line etc., etc. I will, if at all possible, "fly the line" for my descent - meaning I will descend using the line as a reference only.

The sensation of controlled freefalling is my favourite part of the dive!

Great way to keep the buoyancy skills sharp as well.

Ditto for the ascent - it can be quite challenging to maintain 30'/min. & hold at 15' without hanging on to the line.

These things I will do as long as I can see the line & if the current is not too strong. If I'm diving with a buddy, its fun & challenging to travel as one, especially in adverse conditions.

Am I alone in this interest, or do most of you do the same?

I ask this because very often I observe divers hauling themselves to & from the deeps with a choke hold on the line...

...I reckon these folks just don't know what there missin'!

Regards,
D.S.D.

I agree with you whole heartedly! Besides, keeping a choke hold on a line like a mooring bouy line can be pretty dangerous. One good size swell passes by and your 15' safety stop can jump to 5' real quick!

Dive On...

i just like the freefall, don't care about a line going up or down. i may use the line if i need to hit a spot on the bottom as a reference for nav but i rarly use a line for ascents unless the current's bad. never had a problem holding 30ft/min or a blue water hang since ~ '72

I don't have the option of a decent line on most of my dives. Either they don't have a permanent one established or the boat isn't moored. I guess we could always tie a few weights to a marker but there is rarely a need. Currents here, are usually strongest on the bottom.

It 's even more of a confidence booster when you do an ascent with poor vis. You have to rely entirely on your guages with no visable points of reference. The first time I did this it was scary but after a few times it's a routine like anything else. Everyone should be able to do this.

I remember the first time i did this. I was diving down in the keys on the Thunderbolt. The seas were way flat that day. We were all getting in the water and I started my deecnt, and just flew down really fast. At first I was thinking "hmm I wonder if I should decend this fast" and then I was like "this is cool!". I reached the deck of the reef and loked up and my buddy and the rest of the group was 50' above me on the line. Oops! Although I don't solo dive, I must admit that I loved being the first and only person down on the wreck. That was one of the best days of diving that I've ever had.

jiveturkey once bubbled...
It 's even more of a confidence booster when you do an ascent with poor vis. You have to rely entirely on your guages with no visable points of reference. The first time I did this it was scary but after a few times it's a routine like anything else. Everyone should be able to do this.

Sorry Dan. I didn't read your profie. No disrespect intended.

Wendy once bubbled...
I remember the first time i did this. I was diving down in the keys on the Thunderbolt. The seas were way flat that day. We were all getting in the water and I started my deecnt, and just flew down really fast. At first I was thinking "hmm I wonder if I should decend this fast" and then I was like "this is cool!". I reached the deck of the reef and loked up and my buddy and the rest of the group was 50' above me on the line. Oops! Although I don't solo dive, I must admit that I loved being the first and only person down on the wreck. That was one of the best days of diving that I've ever had.

Dove the TB last year. It was a beautiful wreck and a very good dive.

with DeepSeaDan. I prefer not touch the line on the either the way down or the way up. My favorite is to ascend with only the tiny particles in the water as the visual reference points.

UNless the vis or currents are rough, I much prefer "flying the line" too and I, too, love that freefall feeling. And I downright hate it when I have to hold the line for my safety stop -- I would much rather hover at 15' versus dealing with a line that's bouncing up and down -- not to mention the usual crowd around the line. People often look at me like I'm nuts as they hang on to the line for their stop. meanwhile I just float there, arms crossed and not getting my head bashed in. It's my "quiet time" where I don't have to worry about the people I'm diving with. I love it.

DeepSeaDan once bubbled...
When diving to the bottom with the benefit of a down line/shot line/buoy line etc., etc. I will, if at all possible, "fly the line" for my descent - meaning I will descend using the line as a reference only.

The sensation of controlled freefalling is my favourite part of the dive!

Great way to keep the buoyancy skills sharp as well.

Ditto for the ascent - it can be quite challenging to maintain 30'/min. & hold at 15' without hanging on to the line.

These things I will do as long as I can see the line & if the current is not too strong. If I'm diving with a buddy, its fun & challenging to travel as one, especially in adverse conditions.

Am I alone in this interest, or do most of you do the same?

I ask this because very often I observe divers hauling themselves to & from the deeps with a choke hold on the line...

...I reckon these folks just don't know what there missin'!

Regards,
D.S.D.

I do the same thing. Love the free fall, never touch the rope unless absolutely necessary.

I love ascending horizontally, and hanging at safety stop beside the rope. There's always a gaggle there, all trying to be at 15 ft. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom