New to Newfoundland Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nielsent

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi All,

Just moved to St. John's Newfoundland and am starting to get back into the water. If anyone on the board that lives in or withing driving distance of NL wants to get out for a dive or two, let me know. It would be great if there are a few people out there that already know some sites that would like to go as I have no idea where to go.

Thanks in advance all.

-- nielsent

You have moved to a great spot for some awesome wreck diving!

I suggest you get a hold of Ocean Quest (Ocean Quest Adventures), they are running a crazy good boat dive special for NL residents through the month of October. It's only $180 for 8 days of boat dives, and will get you on the Bell Island wrecks (which are incredible).

I've never been out there, but I've seen pictures of the Bell Island wrecks and I'd (almost) kill to get on them :wink:

That is a really good deal....I'd be jumping on it if I were local. Hope you come back with some trip reports and/or pictures!

I am also new to Newfoundland. I just got here at the end of September. Finally getting organized.

On another note I just heard about Peter Easton out here around the bay (Clarkes Beach). From what I heard there may some expollring to do for a French wreck somewhere near Mad Rock (Bay Roberts).

Just have to talk to the boss about a new dry suit first.

My dive buddy is going to NL this summer and was looking for a place to fill his tanks. He has only found places in St Johns and he is going to be about 4hour out of there..... He is staying in Carmanville proximately 45 minutes from Gander.

Can you tell me more about the Bell Island wrecks. I'm from Stephenville (now living in Seattle) and really want to dive them next time im home. Are these the WWII wrecks? What's the depth? What's the best time of year for viz?

Does ocean quest rent doubles and deco bottles? Do they do helium fills?

Thanks
DAve
Sent from my Windowd Phone using Board Express

You're soooooo lucky to live in Newfoundland.

I attended a cold water photography presentation the other evening at NYUPS - The New York Underwater Photographic Society and was blown away by the pics from Newfoundland. The wrecks, the history, abundant marine life and marine growth on the wrecks exceeded my wildest expectations.

I've added Newfoundland to my long To-Dive-Wish List and will tap your brain when I eventually plan a trip up north, in other words, get diving so you have info I can tap when I tap. :D

I just got back from a week in Newfoundland, and did 5 days of charters on the Bell Island wrecks with Ocean Quest.
Here is a link to pics from the week: 2011 Newfoundland Excursion Photo Gallery by Connie Bishop at pbase.com

We stayed with Ocean Quest Adventures (Home), this would be my 4th time doing the full package with them (lodging and dives). They have doubles, singles, stages and whatever you want for mix.. but you should let them know in advance of your needs so they have enough on hand. I time trips mid-late June for the best balance of good weather and viz, but go earlier in the year and it will be better.

There are shore dives within an hour of the lodge to fill up any extra time you have, and the scenery around there is fantastic!

We'll be going again next year, we are organizing a group to go early June 2012 and will do a combined tour of the West coast (Port-aux-Basques/Gros Morne) and the Bell Island wrecks next time. The diving around Gros Morne is fantastic for the walls, depths and marine life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom