Do small children belong at exclusive dive resorts? In first Class?

Should small children be at dive resorts? First Class?

• Yes on both counts.

Votes: 49 52.1%
  • Yes at the resort, no for first class.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • No kids at the resort - first class = OK

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • No for both locations!

Votes: 35 37.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Falcon99

Reaction score
This created such a stir on Rodales, I thought I would see what it did here :) (Kudos to DocVikingo)

What are your thoughts on small kids at dive resorts.

Even more, should small kids be in first class?

Small kids should be left home. If I'm on vacation, I'm there to relax and have fun. Not listen to some kid screaming. Parents now adays seem to let their kids do anything and everything. If I misbehaved when I was little you'd better believe I felt my dad's belt! I don't have kids. The reason I don't have kids is because I WOULD carry duct tape!! After all it fixes everything!!

parents with small children have a right to first class vacation just as others do. if the resort does not have an explicit no-small-children policy then why should one not bring the kids? a need for child-free environments can be met by adult only resorts. also, resorts can be set up in ways to minimize disturbances by kids. since those small children will one day pay the retirement (or at least part of it) for the old geezers we should be showing some tolerance.

Children are people. They have as much right to travel in first class as anyone. They also have a right to be at a resort. They don't have a right to disrupt your vacation any more than you have a right to disrupt mine. IMHO, parents who don't teach their children manners are the ones who should be banned. Keep in mind, children (all children) get grumpy from time to time. They cry from time to time. Expect it. Accept it. It'll always be that way. Crying babies should be carried out and cared for. There's no reason to ban them. Parents sometimes need to learn manners, but children don't need to be excluded.

If they are too young to dive, they do not belong at a dive resort. If parents wish to take their young children on vacation, they need to vacation at other than a dive resort. And I do think there should be an age limit on first class. I was blessed recently to have enough miles to upgrade on a long flight. Unfortunately, I had to sit behind a really bratty child. Dad paid absolutely NO attention to this brat, and Mom was only marginal in trying to keep the child from being a burdon to all around. I don't have kids, but for parents, doesn't having children mean making some sacrifices?? If I choode not to be a parent, why should I have to make these sacrifices as well?

As a father I can speak from experience that mom and dad need that vacation time badly. Trust me. Taking small kids is not something that I would do, but different strokes for different folks. I do believe whole heartily that any resort that allows youngsters should make all vacationers aware that they may encounter the little buggers. After you become grand parents you understand why tigers eat their young.:wink:

NO to Resorts,

NO to First Class,

No to BARS..

Ever have to wait for a seat for dinner & you can't even get a seat at the bar because Kids are all over it?

Anywhere they are allowed parents should be held accountable for their actions.

When I do have kids I plan on taking them with me on dive vacations and if I am to travel first class they will be right there with me. Why wouldn't my children be allowed to stay at a dive resort, just because they aren't old enough to dive, that doesn't mean that they can't have fun. I'm not planning on raising little spawn of satan monsters whose sole purpose in life is to wreck other's flights and vacations. I'll just make sure that when the day comes that I have a family and I am taking them on vacation that I post a message here warning all of you that feel my kids belong in the back of the plane and that we should be staying at a motel 6.

I had a similar experience and vented a little regarding the 1st class vs. coach screaming kids and parental control. I empathize with the parents who have to travel on an emergency and have a hard time with small children whose ears are hurting and such. However, it got old after three trips a week to the East Coast in coach. I finally got frequent flyer status and used upgrades as much as possible to dull the pain. I paid some major dues in the back and don't see a problem with first class limitations - within reason.

For the resort issue, if the place has something for children and include it in thier program - no problem. I get a little upset with the parents who take the "you don't have kids, so you don't count" pulpit. I chose not to have kids yet and think I deserve to go somehere where kids are not - if I so choose. That's where the dive resort thing come into play here - 6 month old kids should NOT be at Cozumel on a dive package trip. Sorry, but it's just IMHO. I actually look forward to going a place that's child-free and quiet - where I can be a happy adult. When kids are agreed upon, then priorities change - the dive resort trips are out for a while..

Just IMHO.

Falcon99 once bubbled...
What are your thoughts on small kids at dive resorts.

Even more, should small kids be in first class?

Well-behaved persons of any age or size should be acceptable in any environment. Ill-behaved, discourteous, or mannerless persons of any age or size should be struck by lightning.

(Children who are too young to have manners (i.e. infants, not small children, infants) get a little bit of a free pass, though their parents should be considerate enough to minimize the impact on others. Yes, that may mean making other choices than they would otherwise have made (e.g. not going to the movie if the child is too young not to cry, or removing them quickly when they do).)

--Laird

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom