Same issues as on other boards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flyguy

Contributor
Reaction score
Edit:
Oops, this was supposed to be a reply to an existing post
http://www.scubaboard.com/t35520/s.html

I'm kind of new here, but it looks like the issues you're speaking about are pretty much the same as a couple of other larger boards that I frequent... not about scuba though.

For the more experenced members, you have to realized that you've followed the postings for a long time and are aware of the general content where new members arent. And if they're so new, they don't really know the proper method or phrase to search for.

An idea from another board is to create a FAQ thread or a few common discussion threads and sticky them to the top for each panel. Sometimes even locking them if appropriate. This way the threads are always at the top for the new people to see before they post their own thread proobably asking something that has already been asked many times before. Another idea is to create a Newbie area.... when new people can ask simple questions that may seem obvious to most people and not feel stupid about it.

It'snot just this board, all the larger boards end up repeating themselfs just like history does, usually every few months.

You're right.

But us oldies really don't mind answering the new folks questions.After all, that's how we learned.

detroit diver once bubbled...
You're right.

But us oldies really don't mind answering the new folks questions.After all, that's how we learned.

.....but as I posted on an earlier thread, perhaps a search on the subject would be the best way to start out and then revisit that thread. The can all (for the most part) be reopened. We can than post on that thread (espcially the new folks on the board)..

Just MHO........:wink:

The problem with searching is that, if you really don't know the proper term because you are new, then the search will not be successful. Also, as this board grows bigger and bigger, the number of hits on a single search term can flood your computer! And much of that will be worthless fluff.

If the user can find what they are looking for on the search engine without encountering days of post reading, then that is good. But if they're going to be frustrated then this board will turn them off if they don't feel comfortable asking a question that may have been asked before.

One example dear to my heart: DIR

If you had heard about DIR and wanted to know something more about it, the search engine would return so many hits that it would be almost unworkable. On the other hand, a couple of us have some large link files that they could immediately point the person to.

Here's change from my .02:)

detroit diver once bubbled...
The problem with searching is that, if you really don't know the proper term because you are new, then the search will not be successful.

Also, if I spell it wrong, you folks are still nice enough to answere.

If spelling were an issue, this board would be dead quiet!

Rick Inman once bubbled...

Also, if I spell it wrong, you folks are still nice enough to answere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom