Anyone diving Monterey/Carmel tomorrow morning? 20th.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Fuzzy:

I'll be at Monastery Beach tomorrow morning around 8:00-8:30am. I'm conservative though, if you have to crawl out of Monastery, it's not worth it (at least not for me). Parked at the northern side (Honda Accord with bike racks).

C.

yeah, you two goin surfing?? it is a wrong spot to be surfing. for realz, be very , very careful there

Hi Andrewy:

Were you down there today? How did it look? From your post, I'm better off sleeping in late.

C.

I was there by myself this morning (didn't go in) and the entry and exit would have been fine. Timingwould have been easy, no crawling needed.

Hi Andrewy:

Were you down there today? How did it look? From your post, I'm better off sleeping in late.

C.

FBB, the beach at Monastery is very steep underwater, unless there are 2-3 inch waves, you may have to crawl out. Monastery is no joke, please get some experience before trying there, 100 dives or so. Unsuspecting people die there every year, conditions are a lot harsher than it looks from the surface.
If you want to try surf entries, best to try breakwater on a day like today, at least there will be help close by should you get into trouble, and a nice sloping beach that doesn't fight against you when trying to crawl out.

I second Kristina,, Fuzzy if you want to dive Monastery lets do it next week when its nice and calm.
Problem there is that you really need to know what to do if things go wrong. i personally had seen very experienced folk turtle in a surf and had to be rescued. It is a fun dive though on a north side.

Andrew, I plan on diving Friday-Sunday, may hang out with jim's class too. Contact me if you're out and need a buddy.

Yes turtle in the surf is something most of us have done. In fact, I mistimed the exit on my last dive at Monastery and did exactly that. It was the first time I crawled out of there in a long time. I just got careless and took for granted something I had done so often. If you end up sideways to the incoming/outgoing wave, it's strong enough to pull the reg out your mouth. The monster berries lodge themselves everywhere in your gear.

@fuzzybunny: Rain or shine, I'll be there next Saturday in the morning. Shoot me a PM if you want to go. I'm not certain if you've dived there but the Northern is as beautiful as the Southern side.

C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom