What next after San Carlos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JorinB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
New diver, just did my first dive in Monterey after only warm water diving. I would like to start diving in Monterey more, curious what is a natural next step site after San Carlos Beach?

Don’t discount breakwater, explore it more. Just a few blocks away is Mac Agee, down the point Coral St. there is point Lobos, Monastery , butterfly house, copper roof, there is a bunch of dive sites in the area but spend more time at San Carlos where there is a lot to see if you slow down and look.

MacAbee Beach (typo above) is a nice easy dive, where, unlike San Carlos, there may be a healthy enough kelp canopy that you have to actually worry about underwater navigation - so a bit of progression. But the navigation is fairly easy.

Point Lobos is easy entry, but depending on the kelp canopy, can require good underwater navigation. Probably best dived with a buddy familiar with it.

Carmel sites (Monastery, butterfly house) are a bit more challenging, so depending on your comfort level, maybe further in progression.

Its haven't gone to Pacific Grove sites like Coral St, Otter Cove, Lovers Point in a long while, so cant comment on them

Lexvil also makes a good point. San Carlos has lots of great dives. If you did the wall, there is also the Pipe & Metridium Fields, which you may need help finding.

Welcome!

Randall Spangler is a local instructor. I haven't taken any courses with him so can't speak one way or another on his instruction, but he's very pleasant to talk to. His website has some good detailed information on local dive sites, as well as some good photos of local wildlife: Dive Sites

If you enjoy shore diving, I think you have gotten good advice from @lexvil and @Chavodel8en on dive site progression: Monterey sites, then Pt lobos, then Pacific Grove, then other Carmel sites like Monastery. Pacific Grove has had some big problems with urchin barrens though, I have not been there in several years. Monastery is my favorite dive site, but it can be pretty dangerous under poor conditions or with poor navigation skills, so it is something to work up to.

There is also boat diving available at the K dock of the harbor. Both the Escapade and the Beach Hopper II have good reputations, and I've enjoyed my diving with both of them. Going by boat, you can reach some good sites that are too far from shore to easy reach on the surface, and the boats are generally pretty newbie-friendly. They don't include a dive guide though. If you need a guide, give them a call and they can recommend some local guides for hire.

I’d recommend joining a dive club associated with a shop. Aquarius and Any Water Sports run Underwater Voyagers Club which is quite active.

Apart from that, doing more breakwater can’t hurt. The wall is interesting and so are the fields. I think I do a majority of my dives there or at Lobos.

Your best bet for Lobos is to get a good buddy, sharpen your navigation skills and then reach out to someone when you get a weekend reservation. We should be able to help suggest some sites!

I’d like to add an addendum to the coral st recommendation , be very careful diving there as the currents can be ripping. I’ve personally had issues there and I know of one team that was swept out to sea and had to be rescued. The rule is if waves break inside the cove do not dive there. I mean like ANY wave, the day we got screwed the waves were only about 1’

I’d like to add an addendum to the coral st recommendation , be very careful diving there as the currents can be ripping. I’ve personally had issues there and I know of one team that was swept out to sea and had to be rescued. The rule is if waves break inside the cove do not dive there. I mean like ANY wave, the day we got screwed the waves were only about 1’
Yes, i learned this the hard way; went on a 'fun dive' the other day. No problem going out, but the waves picked up while we were underwater, and things were pretty rough coming back.

Yes, i learned this the hard way; went on a 'fun dive' the other day. No problem going out, but the waves picked up while we were underwater, and things were pretty rough coming back.
Yea, Breakwater was bad this past Saturday. A bunch of checkout dives got canned, I only saw Bamboo Reef’s AOW go out there. Things did calm down but it was still messy underwater - there was a bit of current as well.

Monastery was definitely off-limits last weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom