http://www.diveheart.org/

Vet seeks gear for career

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
To the Dive community- Greetings! My name is Michael, I am an honorably discharged U.S.A.F. veteran currently living at a V.A. Rehabilitation Center in White City,OR....A little background, I was formerly a long haul trucker for 18 yrs,about 5 yrs ago,I started having pain and numbness in my left hand which I attributed to carpal tunnel, however, things progressed to the point where I could no longer drive with my walking being affected as well. To make a long story short,I applyed for Soc.Sec.Disability,hoping that this would come thru soon, It turned out that after a head and neck MRI I had spinal stenosis at the C5/6 vertebrae which was causing the pain,numbness and gait problems...I am still waiting after 2 applications for SSD,I wound up with my savings gone,homeless,hooked on pain meds,and living in my car for just over a year. I was told by several people who had been here to just drive here to the V.A. Rehab Center and they would take me in and help...I did, They did,and things are better now. I was admitted back in May, given treatment for the pain med dependence,had surgery 3 mos. ago to correct the neck injury,and am walking almost normal now though there is still numbness in the hand that may get better over time.(pain med free too!) Due to this injury I do not want to go back to trucking and risk futher injury,after doing much thought on the matter of a long-term goal for a new career,I have decided to pursue a career as a Scuba Instructor/Divemaster, with an eye toward the Vet/disabled/adapted,since I have been thru that,and know what it's like...I have been Snorkeling for years,Love the water/ocean,and have been on a couple of introductory dives, I will be 50 in dec.,and after all I have been thru,am still in good shape and have decided to commit myself fully to pursuing this dream... I know this will not happen overnite. My first step,of course,will be to get an Open-water card, (which I am currently taking classes for) and then go up the ladder from there...I have applyed for a pell grant and enrolled at a local Comm.coll. which I will use to take my required First Aid/responder courses,and am also working with the V.A. and Oregon Voc.Rehab programs to get help with financing for further certification. My one problem can be summed up in one word... GEAR. All I have right now is my trusty Mask,Snorkel and an old pair of churchill fins that I have used for years... I would like to ask Dive Retailers and Individuals in the Diving Community if they would have any used (or new?) gear they would like to donate to me to help me realize my career goal...I am not picky, If it fits and works, I would greatly appriciate the help, I can always Upgrade as I work my way up to a Professional level...but Renting would add more to what I will already be doing on a shoestring, so to speak...Even advice and encouragement would be welcome! I would also like to add that in an age of online scamming, I would be more than happy to provide proof from V.A./Oregon Voc.Rehab that this is indeed the career path I have chosen,and I would not in the least be offended by such a request. My Physical stats are-Ht.-5'7/ wgt-180lbs-/shoe-9.5....I generally wear a large in clothing....and if something does not fit well,I will return it, I try to live a live of integrity as much as possible...Feel Free to Forward this mail to anyone who may be able to help, and to everyone, Safe Diving,and.....Blessings! Michael Darr Vet.Admin. S.Or.Rehab.Cen.& Clinics 8495 Crater lake hwy. Sec.1 White City,OR. 97503 (amcelt60@hotmail.com)

Last edited:
I have some gear I'm not using any more. I'll take an inventory and let you know what I have (maybe an old BC, wet suit, etc.)....If you're interested I'll look and see.
If you could email me at mikeh@jmoyerlandscaping.com what you really need (if some order) I'll check those out first, along with a shipping address.
thanks and good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom