Orange Beach, Pensacola conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wide_open

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm planning a trip to orange beach in the next week and I was wondering what the conditions are like for diving this time of year. I have a 3/2 suit, and I'm wondering if the water is too cold already. The forecast says temps should be in the 70s this week :D I'm hoping to dive the jetties, and hopefully get a charter trip one day. Should I get a warmer suit? Any advice will help. Thanks!

I'm guessing it's 65-68 inshore and a few degrees warmer out in the Gulf. I'm comfortable with a 2-piece 3mm and a hood this time of year, but that gives me a 6mm core, so a 3/2 is probably too light. Your safest bet is a 5mm, but whatever you wear, make sure it includes a hood.

Before the 5 foot seas hit this weekend we had 30ft of viz about 8 miles offshore, and it steadily improves as you go further South and further East.

Inshore viz was bad Saturday at Ft. Pickens, but we were there only a few hours after low tide, and it was pretty choppy, so the 3-10ft of viz we had was pretty good. You're probably looking at closer to 20ft if the tides are right.

Thanks..I haven't done any diving in the gulf later than october, so that's helpful. I'm used to diving there in the summer-- will there be a difference in the marine life with the temp dropping?

Thanks..I haven't done any diving in the gulf later than october, so that's helpful. I'm used to diving there in the summer-- will there be a difference in the marine life with the temp dropping?

I've never noticed a big difference, but I'm looking for flounder more in the colder months, so my attention is divided.

Once the cooler water moves in the tropicals move out into deeper water. During shore dives the octopus seem to be all over in the cooler months. Typically I have found that there is good viz in the cooler months because it is cold and there is no algea growth. Without all the algea you can get some super clear days as long as the wind hasn't been too bad.

Around this time I like to dive a 5mm with a hood and I am fine, but I am pretty cold water tolerant. It really depends if you are going to be going deep and how long you are planning to stay at depth that you have to really consider your suit thickness around this time. If you are planning just to shore dive than I think a 5mm w/ hood would be fine. the only problem is that around this time of year the morning temps can cold for these parts (35*-45*) , but by mid-day the temps get to around 70*-75* (normally).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom