Spiny Lobster @ Breakwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaregia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was getting out of a night dive on Friday when a man showed me a spiny lobster molt that he found while diving. We talked about whether it actually made it up there or it was a prank by someone for a bit. Diving on Saturday, I found another one (front half only) about ten minutes out along the breakwater from the anchor, in 38' at the base of the wall.

Do they actually come this far north, then?

I've heard that they do, but the water is too cold for them to reproduce here. There have been other sightings at the breakwater wall for sure.

One day some years ago I saw two spiny lobsters in seperate slips while working in a marina in Alameda on the Estuary. I can only imagine that somebody dumped them there. Have never seen any before or since and have never heard of anybody ever finding lobsters in the Bay.

A guy told me he saw one once in a crack in the wall at Monestary. That was during the El Nino back in the 90's.
I heard that the reason we don't see them is because they can't share habitat with GPO's because they'll get slammed.
The water's also too cold for them to molt and they will die, but until then they can live in water down in the high 40's to low 50's. It gets that cold at the outer islands.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen them at both Monastery and the Breakwater. Not common but they're around. Has been years since the Monastery sightings (2001 or 2002 probably) but I've seen lobsters at the breakwater as recently as 2009. You're more likely to see them at night.

Clinton

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom