Hurricanes/Tropical Storms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cudachaser

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Henri...not much an issue for FL

Fabian...anyone able to talk from Bermuda?

living in Britain, hurricanes are a bit of mystery to me - they occasionally get a mention on the news just ahead of the last item about a cat being stuck up a tree.

are they predicted and if so how far in advance? are there any good web sites? i'm becoming interested for selfish reasons cos i'm off for a dive trip to Bahamas later in the year.

hope Bermuda didn't get hit too hard and condolences to those who suffered loss.

CNN Says Fabian is Pounding Bermuda?

I experienced Hurricane Andrew when I lived in Florida... Scarry stuff guys...:wacko:

An additional thing to weatherunderground...

Atlantic Hurricane season runs from June 1 thru Nov 30, however June, July, Aug and Nov are historically slow months. The peak part of the season is early Sept thu about the 3rd week of October. I would not plan a trip around peak season.

Isabelle has formed about 35d Long....models show it tracking farther south than Fabian...could be interesting for Florida in about 10 days. It's really impressive on satillite imagery!

I was in Cozumel last Sept when Isadore hit. We only got the edge and it passed in a couple of days. We tried diving after, but the currents and seas were VERY poor and unpredictable for days. So, we only got in 2 days of good diving out of a 6 day trip!

Poor Vis . . . I've been through hurricans in the Turks & Cacos, Bahamas, and Florida. Once the wind and rain are gone the sea is usually a mess for at least a week. Poor vis, lots of small stuff floating around. These storms will break apart 100,000 ton wreaks. We've seen the bow of a wreak moved hundreds of feet from the main body of the wreak. The power is amazing.:dance:

Hey guys.

Update on Bermuda and the hurricane that ripped us to shreds overnight. Eye passed very close at 6pm. We were in the wall of the eye for a good few hours. Not too much rainfall though and very little lightning. Pretty dull really when you are watching out of the window all night!

Most of the island lost power around noon yesterday.

Winds were amazing. Palm trees snapped in half (locals collecting coconuts all the over the golf coures and parks!), power lines blown over, walls blown over, roffs off, sail boats tipped over, masts snapped off, sails torn, all radio stations were down.

4 feared dead. Some idoits driving on our longest bridge in the middle of it all. Two policemen tried to rescue them and all got blown off bridge.

East and west ends hit badly. Roads disintergrated into sea along our shouthshore. Houses also fallen into sea. Many roofs blown off.

Strongest hurricane in 77 years.

25,000 homes without power - inc. mine :(

But... main city (Hamilton) has power so am e.mailing from an office in town.

Airport and east end cut off - as bridge crumbled into the sea.

Weather recording instruments got blown off weather station!

The worst news of all for divers here though is that....

Haven't been down to check out my LDS yet but news says that a restaraunt in southampton was swallowed up... doesn't say which one but my dive shop is under a restraunt that is right on the seafront so I don't like the probability of it still being there!!

We have lost most of our best beaches and some beachfront resorts are badly damaged. The beaches wont be coming back for a few months so I would not advise coming out here for a holiday unless you don't care about sand and want to dive all the time :) Our reefs will be a little shaken but should be fine and the vis should clear up in a week or so. Our wrecks are already in bits so no change there although some of them may have moved!

Our most intact wreck, the Hermes was sunk for diving about 25 years ago. Can't wait to see what that is like now. But, alas I doubt I will be going to it soon as the dive shop which goes to that wreck mostly is the one I mentioned above. DOH!

Here's a link for info on the hurricane's effects on Bermuda... I'll post some others that are useful for finding info on any hurricane in a bit - as somoene requested.

http://www.theroyalgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom