Video: Hole in the Wall mapping project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ae3753

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Wake up Sunday morning to find the skies overcast and a little dreary. No matter I tell myself, we'll be mapping Hole in the Wall and we only need 5' of viz. As I enter Monterey, the sky is clear, the sun is shining down, and the ocean is flat. As I pull into Whaler's Cove, I tell myself - no matter, I'll be diving with friends and we'll still have fun.

And we did have fun. (1) We completed mapping HiTW, even though Kevin repeatedly said we should not be goal driven. (2) While my scooter died 10 minutes into the dive, I got a chance to do barrel rolls and loops while being towed. (3) I took video while Kevin and Ted cleaned up. Sometimes it pays to be the videographer.

Here's a short video of the mapping project:
[youtubehq]
6rljLjxNVx4
[/youtubehq]

Edit: Video is "not available". Here's the direct link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rljLjxNVx4

Oh, I miss you guys so much!

Glad you were having fun, and adding to the amazing resources available for diving the Whaler's Cove area.

Great video.... sorry I couldn't help. I miss the days of the scooter hoarde tearing up the place, up down and sideways.... and of course crashing and burning in an explosion of bubbles as we laughed our a$$ off from having so much fun :wink:

Nice video. What kind of camera were you using?

Also good seeing you at AWS when you stopped by our Fundies class on Saturday. Sorry I didn't immediately recognize you :wink:

Ken

The footage at the end with the Tactical Prop Wash was priceless... :D

I was at Lobos on Saturday - conditions were really quite nice. I brought out the scooter to tow my (non-scooter-equipped) buddy out to Beto's. He was on a single tank so we had to head back in pretty early, but it was an excellent dive. Were people working on the mapping project on Saturday as well? If so, I believe we ran across the line on one of our return trips.

Oh, and in case anybody has been curious like I was... I had a chance to borrow a friend's Light Monkey (via Hollis) 16w LED, and compare directly to another friend's new Halcyon EOS light during the dives that day. It was a pretty good test, especially in the shallows of the cove. The good vis meant it was pretty bright, and the lights were prone to washing out. The EOS makes a decent light, but it's a pretty diffuse beam. I could see liking it a lot at night, or on dark clear days, but the 16W Hollis was really nice to use. It's definitely not going to stand up to a 21w HID, but the beam was nice and focused, and seemed to be significantly brighter than the Light Monkey 12w units I've seen. I'm expecting one under the tree this year... :D

Don, great video! You guys make even "working" look like loads of fun!

Where was I when you stopped by any water this weekend? Would've said hi if I saw you.

Oh, I miss you guys so much!

Glad you were having fun, and adding to the amazing resources available for diving the Whaler's Cove area.

We miss you too! The end result should be available on the BAUE site. I'll let Kevin speak about it more, since he was the mastermind and ringmaster.

Great video.... sorry I couldn't help. I miss the days of the scooter hoarde tearing up the place, up down and sideways.... and of course crashing and burning in an explosion of bubbles as we laughed our a$$ off from having so much fun :wink:

Let's do it. Are you around this winter break?

Nice video. What kind of camera were you using?

Also good seeing you at AWS when you stopped by our Fundies class on Saturday. Sorry I didn't immediately recognize you :wink:

Ken

Using a Canon SD980. I like the camera for video purposes as it has a decent wide angle and works pretty well in lower light situations. Now that the S95 shoots HD though, I'd consider that camera if buying new.

Very good seeing you at AWS. Have a great time this weekend.

The footage at the end with the Tactical Prop Wash was priceless... :D

I was at Lobos on Saturday - conditions were really quite nice. I brought out the scooter to tow my (non-scooter-equipped) buddy out to Beto's. He was on a single tank so we had to head back in pretty early, but it was an excellent dive. Were people working on the mapping project on Saturday as well? If so, I believe we ran across the line on one of our return trips.

Oh, and in case anybody has been curious like I was... I had a chance to borrow a friend's Light Monkey (via Hollis) 16w LED, and compare directly to another friend's new Halcyon EOS light during the dives that day. It was a pretty good test, especially in the shallows of the cove. The good vis meant it was pretty bright, and the lights were prone to washing out. The EOS makes a decent light, but it's a pretty diffuse beam. I could see liking it a lot at night, or on dark clear days, but the 16W Hollis was really nice to use. It's definitely not going to stand up to a 21w HID, but the beam was nice and focused, and seemed to be significantly brighter than the Light Monkey 12w units I've seen. I'm expecting one under the tree this year... :D

Yep, there were teams on Saturday and Friday as well.

Good info on the 16w LED. Let's dive together after x-mas, and we can do a 16w LED vs 12w LED comparison for people.

Don, great video! You guys make even "working" look like loads of fun!

Kevin planned for a 90 minute dive and really pushed us not to be goal oriented. In my mind, I was thinking that Team Bunny does 3 hours dives, let's just do a 3 hour dive and we'll definitely finish. It's really a good thing I don't plan these projects.

The dive was definitely fun. Kevin had to sort us out for the first couple of measurements, but after that it was very efficient. Good team work and good buddies makes a huge difference on these projects.

Where was I when you stopped by any water this weekend? Would've said hi if I saw you.

Grabbing lunch? Have fun this weekend as well!

Fun video, how am I supposed to focus on my series 7 exam when you post video like that to distract me. :)

Definitely want to get a scoot.....

Let's do it. Are you around this winter break?

Yup... pretty loose work schedule Dec 20-29 Maybe some Mid week Tech dives?

Kevin planned for a 90 minute dive and really pushed us not to be goal oriented. In my mind, I was thinking that Team Bunny does 3 hours dives, let's just do a 3 hour dive and we'll definitely finish. It's really a good thing I don't plan these projects.
!

Have you forgotten about our Reefcheck dive? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom