Quick report -lobos on 01/01/2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Farty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It was very cold day but ocean was calm with 60ft+ visibility. We could not ask for better conditions.

Thank you Andrew for booking this, thank you Jotho for navigation, thank you scubabumps for being my dive buddy for almost 100 dives in 2010.

And yes, I confirmed that hangover diving is not fun.

Argh you killin me, besides hangover.60ft rrrrrrr

Indeed, the visibility was great! Despite the intermittent rain the first half of the day, there wasn't much of surge and only a little bit of outward current in the cove. Let me add some details to the report...

Dive 1: Hole in the Wall to Sea Mount
Avg depth: 53 ft. Dive time: 41 min. Min temp: 48 F

Plan for this dive was to surface kick out to the sand channel, drop and head to HitW, then continue on to Sea Mount. Shortly after dropping, we got a view as below:

seamount.jpg

Clipping along on scooter with farty, Scubabumps, and Jotho in plain view, we came across the usual suspects on the wall to Sea Mount - metridiums, sheephead, yellow/strawberry anemones dotting the walls. I did notice that the kelp had remarkably cleared out... very little on the surface kick out, and the dense canopies in the shallows had also thinned. Turned at a depth of 85 fsw, and came back along the sand channel. Managing scooter, camera, drysuit for the first time turned this into more of a busy dive than anything else, but lack of current and great visibility more than made up for it. :)

Dive 2 - Granite Point Wall
Avg depth: 45 ft. Dive time: 48 min. Min temp: 48 F

Plan for this dive was to drop at Middle Reef and follow 45 degree heading to Granite Point Wall across the sand channel. On the way out, the tide had receded quite a bit from the boat ramp, which made entry slightly more difficult. Surface kick was a breeze. It was a blast to find GPW after a minute of crossing the sand channel from Middle Reef.

On the way back, we had a very curious local tug at our fins and try to get our attention...

seal.jpg

A great day of diving.

I did Monastery today. I could see the surface easily from 50'. Absolutely beautiful. I've never seen so many Black & Yellows at once before. Also salps and an enormous prawn. Did a night dive too, which was way spooky with only focussed beams in good vis. I kept imagining things just outside my beam.

Woo hoo! Turnover! A new influx of open ocean water brought you great vis, very glad you could enjoy it.

Earlier in the week we had stagnant shore water; so, temps were 53 degrees throughout the dive. Usually it's about 52-54 degrees at the surface, with temps dropping about 5 or 6 degrees at depth. On the 27th, the temps didn't drop much at all, even out at Twin Peaks @ 140', where we had 52.9 degree temps (surface 53.5).

Glad you had great dives!

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom