LDS owners, rejoice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saying

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
You've got a convert.

I'm an online shopper. I shop online for everything. Books, electronics, clothes, certain food items. Everything. So when I first started diving I was psyched to find the online dive suppliers.

I bought nearly all of my beginner gear online, going into the LDSs for only this or that.

BUT

Now the tides have shifted. I've started to get nearly everything at the dive shop. The expertise and friendliness of the staff at my favorite of the locals appeals to me in a way that I think nothing of dropping the extra couple of bucks for the gear. I get depressed when they don't carry or can't order the equipment I want... but they always make a convincing argument for why they carry the comparable equipment that they do and I wind up getting their stock than going online for what I'd thought I'd wanted.

There's also all the fit issues. My first mask (the one I'd gotten online) leaked like an Nonogenarian, but the one the LDS helped me select fits perfectly. So, this weekend I'm going to go get fitted for a custom wetsuit there. Yeah, there are (a very few) companies whose size charts say their stock will fit me and I could just order one of those online for much cheaper. But I'm not going to.

It's something of a revalation for me.

I know the few of many such points I make above have already been mentioned time and again when the LDS v. online arguments erupt, but it always winds up being an ethical v. practical battle which isn't really the point to me.

I appreciate the ethics of supporting small businesses and I appreciate the pragmatism of saving a few bucks. No, I'm not going to get worked up about "you should do this or that or you will be a bad person." Yes, I'm probably still going to buy stuff from LP from time to time.

But in the end, I just love diving and I'd rather haunt the LDS, chatting with other people who love diving with the smell of fresh neoprene in the air than sit at my computer looking at pictures of stuff that I covet. (Well, as the axiom goes, 'I'd rather be diving,' but, you know...)

I love the LDS and I'd rather spend there and know that I help a little toward keeping my haunt around.

I have seen the light.

Now I've got to go to Amazon.com to buy DVDs.

Dude - Genesis is going to kick you out of his little club....how will you survive buying stuff at the LDS??? I...I...I just don't understand :haha:

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
Dude - Genesis is going to kick you out of his little club....how will you survive buying stuff at the LDS??? I...I...I just don't understand :haha:

lmao @ Big-t

I saw this post and thought the same thing... "Genesis is going to have an aneurism when he sees this post" but decided not to say anything. Buuuuuuuut... since you already broke the ice. ~smile~

(ps: I agree with saying on this anyway)

<ducks and covers>

or just cut & paste past drivel.

I'm with you all the way, saying, I do a lot of on-line shopping for other things, too, but not so when it comes to scuba equipment (with the exception of the occasional doodad that they don't stock). I'm willing to "pay" for the expertise and advice I get from my LDS--that and the fact that I can try equipment in their pool before buying. That, and it's fun to hang out there--I guess I'm a Dive Shop Rat.

Another reason is that I want that shop to be around for a while. They're not going to stay in business by selling air fills alone.

And the LDS is great fro some things, especially checking fit, and its neccesary for newbies who need advice. However, and im assuming your realtively new to diving, once you see the big difference in LDS vs LP, and know what you want, youll migrate back to buying online again. Its a cycle.

jviehe once bubbled...
And the LDS is great fro some things, especially checking fit, and its neccesary for newbies who need advice. However, and im assuming your realtively new to diving, once you see the big difference in LDS vs LP, and know what you want, youll migrate back to buying online again. Its a cycle.

I've seen the difference in LP and LDS, the prices are less on LP but I'm willing to pay for the extra service at my LDS. That's just my opinion tho. Everyone has to do their own thing.

As you all know, buying all this stuff, stuff that is meant to keep you alive under many many feet of water, is very overwhelming to a newbie.

I always try to support the small mom and pop businesses and our LDS is no difference. Ours has been around for decades so I have no doubts in thier knowledge and abilities. They haven't steered me wrong yet!!

Besides...I like knowing that if anything does go wrong...they have to look me in the eye!

Laurel
:froggy:

FLArmyBrat once bubbled...
As you all know, buying all this stuff, stuff that is meant to keep you alive under many many feet of water, is very overwhelming to a newbie.

I always try to support the small mom and pop businesses and our LDS is no difference. Ours has been around for decades so I have no doubts in thier knowledge and abilities. They haven't steered me wrong yet!!

Besides...I like knowing that if anything does go wrong...they have to look me in the eye!

Laurel
:froggy:

I support the LDS to the extent that they compete for the business. Where the price/service package is quite a bit different, the winner is the one with the more attractive combination...and this isn't often the LDS.

Anything that needs fitting gets purchased from the LDS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom