Anyone know info good snorkeling in south Florida and Manatees?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sontek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Since my wife is pregnant shes out of commission for diving but she has wanted to go see the manatees for awhile and since you do that snorkeling I figured this would be a good time to do it :)

So do you guys have any tips on good places to stay or go through to see them? How cold is the water in the river?

Also, is there any really good shore snorkeling spots around Ft.Lauderdale? I was thinking we could go down there and do some snorkeling after Jettyfest as well.

You could probably snorkel Blue Heron Bridge pretty easily. Also maybe a few of the close reefs off the beaches on the coast.

You can snorkel with the Manatees at Crystal River. The river is spring fed, but unless you are on one of the many springs(72F), the water will have cooled... prolly lower 60sish.

You can snorkel with the Manatees at Crystal River. The river is spring fed, but unless you are on one of the many springs(72F), the water will have cooled... prolly lower 60sish.

My brother lives in Crystal River and we did our open water cert. down there. Bird's Underwater is a GREAT dive shop!! The owner, Bill, is really into cave diving and helped map a lot of the caves in Florida. They run snorkeling and boat manatee trips too (birdsunderwater.com). Highly recommend them if you decide to go to Crystal River.

Tina

You could probably snorkel Blue Heron Bridge pretty easily. Also maybe a few of the close reefs off the beaches on the coast.

Blue Heron Bridge is a definite, just make sure you don't push the limits on the tide change too much. You can really get some strong stuff through there, probably some of the strongest inshore stuff I've had to swim through, course I've had lesser stuff too, but no way to tell which way you'll get until your in it. East bridge is closed atm, but there's stuff to see to the South and the West side is open too. Don't forget your flag. It's an automatic ticket there if you don't have it.

I wouldn't recommend a beach dive in Lauderdale for an expecting mother. You're looking at about a 200yard swim to the first reef, and you've got a cross-current almost every day.

For Manatees, Crystal River is really the name of the game. There is no other spot as reliable for consistency, numbers, and quality of interaction. My wife and I go there at least once a year (and did three consecutive dives over New Year's weekend--all were unbelievable!!).

I second Birds Underwater. It is THE class act in the area although there are some other nice operators. Birds is the definite first choice for us and had been for 10 years. I recommend it over a do-it-yourself try with a rental boat. You won't save much money, and the shop has three boats that are in constant touch with each other so as to get to the best location.

As for conditions, it is calm, no current, and pretty clear. Very mellow conditions and no worries. Water temp is 70-72F in almost all of the spots the shops go, because the manatees also prefer the warmer water of the springs. Wetsuits are essential. We dive 3 mils with beanie hoods and can stay in over 2 hours without chilling too much.

I kid you not, if you hit conditions right, the manatee snorkel is one of the most thrilling dives on the planet. It sometimes gets disrespected because it is so easy that families, kids, and non-divers partake. Still, the interaction with these huge, gentle, funny and friendly animals, who are completely wild and free and could ignore us if they wanted, is absolutely remarkable. If you are limited on time, I would skip South Florida in favor of Crystal River.

If you do come to S. Florida, BHB is also a "do not miss" dive, but not so much for snorkelling. It is OK to snorkel in the window of slack tide, but BHB is really famous for its small, weird, bizarre invertabrates and bottom-dwelling fish. You have to search for those and freediving down is very hit or miss. That is why, much to my own disbelief, I find myself scuba diving in 8 feet of water! (I am a long-time freediver, but it's just not the best for BHB). That being said, the conditions at slack tide are very mellow for about a 40 minute period and maybe your wife could scuba.

Or, even better, check with Brownies Palm Beach Divers. They might be able to rent out one of their hookah rigs that would allow you to "scuba" without the tanks. That would be a perfect solution for you!

Have fun on your trip.

This time of year, you will need a 3 mil suit and beanie for best comfort.

Crystal River is the place to be. I spoke with U.S. Fish and Wildlife last week and the most current manatee was 463, between Kings Springs, Banana Island, and 3 Sisters. We always stay at the Plantation Inn Golf Resort (Crystal River Florida Hotel | Plantation Golf Resort & Spa) and they are always very accomodating. We were there in mid January and will be returning again in mid March. The resort is beautiful and the staff of Plantation Inn Dive Center is very professional. You can either rent a boat from them or take a dive tour with them. 3 mil weather. Manatees are literally on top of each other. Snorkeling 3 sisters was the highlight of the trip. Good luck and have fun.

I agree with bamascubacat, crystal river is supposed to be a great place to snorkel with the manatees.

Except for the fact that Crystal river is not in South Florida.

Anybody been in the last couple weeks? How are the numbers and conditions? Crowded?
Thanks for any info.

I was in Crystal River for the Manatees last weekend and there weren't a lot of boats in the springs (3 boats at the one we were in, which wasn't the "main" spring.) but it was full of manatees! Every person in the water had a baby or 2 to themselves that were playful and there were many more adults in the no touch zone that we could observe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom