One dive trip per day in the Keys: A.M or P.M?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bamabowtie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
If you were going to do one dive trip per day in the Keys, would you prefer a 8:30 AM or a 1 PM dive?

Just trying to get a feel of opinions here. I'm not sure if there is enough to do in Key Largo during the afternoons to justify booking morning dives? (I've never been)

So in your opinion...sleep late and do afternoon dives or, rise with the sun, do morning dives and explore Key Largo in the afternoon.

Also, some recommendations on things to do in the area besides diving if anyone has any.

Thanks

In the winter, go in the afternoon. In the Summer go in the morning. I usually book both. :)

I'd go in the morning. If conditions are going to get sporty on any given day it will generally be afternoon.

Afternoons? Take a nap. Visit the Turtle Hospital in Marathon. Visit the History of Diving Museum in Islamorada. Shop the tacky tourist shops along US1. There's one (there's a HUGE lobster statue out front - on the gulf side) that has a ton of shops & art galleries you could spend a couple hours poking around. Drive across the 7-mile bridge or up to Miami for dinner. It's not that far.

If you were going to do one dive trip per day in the Keys,......

Every night,,dive the Duane.

89617d1297659413-one-dive-trip-per-day-keys-m-p-m-duane.jpg

Attachments

• Duane.jpg
    Duane.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 133
It is usually a little flatter seas in the morning--less wind too. Best free thing on Key Largo--visit the Bird Center at about MM 94 around Pelican,etc feeding time in the afternoon. Best low cost thing to do--feed the Tarpon at Robbies Marina--our last time there a bucket of fish was about $4.00--Islamorada area.

You may notice a feeding theme here--We like the Hideout for breakfast, about mm 103, down that road a short distance oceanside.

It's been my experience down here in the Keys that weather can change for the best or worst anytime of the day.

Here's my online calendar where we record the conditions of each dive for May 2010.
Conch Republic Divers Reservation Calendar May 2010. From it you can get an idea of what the dive conditions were last year for morning verses afternoon dives.

My suggestion is to keep an eye on the weather as your dive date getting closer. You can certainly do this by watching our daily dive trip postings on Conch Republic Divers Reservation Calendar or contact the dive shop you're scheduled to dive with and get the dive conditions from them. They should be able to tell you what the weather pattern is looking like and if a morning or afternoon dive would have better diving conditions.

Hope you have a great time diving and if you have any other question that I might be able to answer, please don't hesitate to ask.

Good Diving,

If you think weather and sea condition will be a factor in your deciding to dive or not I would listen to Capt Gary above. Play it by ear each day and make the deciision based on wind strength and direction each day.

There is plenty to do each day. Some mentioned above. Also - kayaking, fish tacos and a corona on the deck of one of the many local restaurant / bars. Exploring any one or more of the numerous roadside stops on both the atlantic and gulf sides of US1 all the way down to Key West.

Book the morning. If soething happens you can always do the afternoon. You can never go backwards. Also, first ones to the dive site usually see the coolest stuff. Just an opinion.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom