Information and Buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soltari675

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had asked this question on another Florida forum, but I was apparently in the wrong place. Oops. :dork2:

I am coming to Orlando for Spring Break. I have a boat chartered on the coast, but there were some other sites I wanted to see. I do plan to do the manatee snorkel/dive. But as I was looking at other sites, I saw Paradise Springs and it looked interesting. Now, for the record, I am a novice diver. 16 dives at the moment. I do have my enriched air, and peak performance course done. But still, I am new.

Some shops I contact say no problem. They will take me there, however they want their normal fee, plus another $60 or so because I am traveling alone.

Other shops are saying it is a dangerous dive for a novice and to stay clear of it this trip.

So my question is, which is true? Am I ok there? Or is it too advanced? I am very comfortable in the water and with my abilities, but I do know to stay within my limits. I've never been to Florida, so I don't know what this site is like. If it IS ok, then I was wondering if anyone felt like going on March 31 or April 1 and don't mind me tagging along? I'd rather just go with people who want to dive than people who just want as much money out of me as possible.

Thanks a bunch for some information and I look forward to hopefully diving with someone.

I've never had a shop tell me it would cost extra because I was alone. I'm guessing they want you to dive with a divemaster since you're alone and a new diver.

The only dive site you have listed is Paradise Springs. Where else are you planning to dive? You have a boat chartered, or you're boat diving with a shop? When boat diving, you shouldn't have any problem buddying up with someone else on the boat. You can also post here with the specific sites you want to dive and on what date and some other members might buddy up with you.

One logistics question -- you do know that the manatees are a 2 hour ride away, and that the Atlantic coast is two hours in the opposite direction?

My plan was to do Crystal River with the Manatees one day. Paradise Springs another. And a couple days on a boat off the east coats. The boat is no problem. And no extra fees either. Crystal river was no problem. They just wanted extra for Paradise Springs. I believe it is for the reason you said, since I am alone, they would have to provide someone to dive with. I was just hoping to avoid the extra fee, and dive with someone here on either of those days. If someone wanted too.

Yes, both are a ways of a drive. However since I have never been to Florida, I thought it was worth it to experience. :)

I love Paradise and go there all the time. PM me with the Dates and we can work something out. I'll get you going on Paradice no problem.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom