Primary lighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OHIO DIVERS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm thinking about purchasing a canister light for my primary lighting.
I will be using the light for wreck diving in the great lakes.
Which is beter hid or led?
I received an e-mail from a dive shop that they have on sale a dive rite lux-4-led canister light for $499.00. Price sounds good, but is the light any good?
Just doing my research and looking for some feedback.
I'm willing to look at any brand, just want a good light.

I'm interested in the same information...The 21W HID is a sweet light, but very pricey...Not sure how the Great Lakes are, but guessing they are similar to So Cal cold dark and often green waters...if so, for those that can help with suggestions, since the HID is so bright and strong, does it tend to cause some reflection with turbid water or just flat out penetrate? Also, how does the LED fair since the technology is up and coming as far as penetration? I've been told the bulbs are a couple hundred bucks for the HID lights vs the long life you get from the LED and the low battery requirements for LED...anyway, sorry to add so many questions to the OP's original post, but hoping to get the same info / recommendations I guess...thanks

$499 is a great price for that lite. I have the LED 700 and have had zero issues with it. HID lights are great, but the one I want is $1200 so I will be diving my 700 for a bit longer.

The HID gives a more tight beam which is better for signalling, whereas the LED has a bit more flood to the beam. GUE/cave divers tend to prefer the HIDs for this reason.

Additionally, are you going to be doing alot of boat diving? HID bulbs are pretty strong these days, but the ones that I've seen get damaged were do to banging around on the boat.

There are already a bunch of posts about this on the board (just search). We do a ton of diving here in the North East (sometimes, less than ideal lighting conditions) and I am still partial to having a 21w HID. I would look at either Halcyon or Light Monkey.

Halcyon Explorer Lights

Light Monkey 10.110.221 Havoc HID Canister Light

As far as the DiveRite at $499, you get what you pay for, not that bright. If you are diving with others that have a 21w, there will be a lot of Light Envy & they will have some trouble seeing you when are trying to communicate with them. If you like the theory behind the LED, then look at the Halcyon EOS or the Light Monkey as well.

Halcyon EOS LED Lights

Light Monkey 10/21 Watt LED w/10.4A Li-Ion Battery

Let me know if I can help you with anything.

I just got a smaller(12W) LM LED for travel and sidemount, but if I could just have one, it would be the 21W HID. They might be overkill for the Mexican caves, but they're very nice to have in the Great Lakes.

Look for a used 21 HID they are sometimes availlable for around 700-800 dollars. I did not notice any reflection in murky water, it penetrates quite well.

thanks elan...bought my Halycon 21W HID the other day...looking forward to trying it out this weekend

Did ya buy the halcyon light new or used? What kind of deal did you find, if I may ask. I am currently in the market.

Cheers, Walt

Ohio Diver, how many posts for the same topic do you need? My goodness.

Moderators, any chance we can combine these multiple threads on the same topic? That being the LED LUX-4.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom