weight integrated??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tekk Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Anyone care to shine some light on this problem with weight integration BC's:

How do you manage doffing your weight integrated BC while underwater...for any possible reason...without doing an underwater handstand once you're out of the BC?? I own the SeaQuest Raider...and I am interested as to how I should go about safely removing my BC while at depth..with all of my weight in the BC...and not around my waist..Any thoughts?

You should already be neutral when you do that, but you can try to keep the bc above you - it may take some practice, but it can be done. I don't think there's a problem doing it upside down as well. That would probably be good practice too.

If you are maintaining horizontal simply flip it over your head and ride it until you have cleared the intanglement. If you are kneeling or hanging vertical try left hand on BC strap at shoulder right hand on tank base. swing it around and set the tank on your thigh about where your pant pocket is. If you lean slightly towards the left while making the swing and then slightly over the tank once it is on your thigh you will not loose your balance or float away.

Hallmac

It is pretty easy to tell you the truth.
I am using a Sherwood Avid so modify to your own BC. I open my shoulder straps all the way, then I release my sternum strap. Then waist strap, then velcro cumberbund. At this time I make sure that SPG and Octo etc. are free and not going to be in the way. I have not taken my arms out of the unit yet. I pull my right arm out rolling to my left at the same time.Reverse that if you need to work on the other side or your one of those weird lefties :wink: If I did it right my Tank, first stage will be under me. That way the BC is always under me and locked in with left arm. If you need to do adjustments do them now with 1 arm locked into BC like a chicken wing in wrestling. To get back in just reverse everything and you have done it without ever having to let go, or lose control.
It took longer to type that then it does to do it. I practiced this a few times over the last month and I can be out and then back in very fast.

I pretty much agree with CrazyDave except I reccommend taking your left arm out and rolling to you right. That way you don't risk pulling your reg out of your mouth. Keep the BC close to your body and everything will be fine.

Joe

simple simple simple...

unhook the straps, take left arm out, swing jacket to the front while keeping your right arm through it and put your left arm through the right arm hole and right arm through left arm hole. had my tank fall out on the sea emperor in about 70 fsw.

I hope this doesn't come off sounding like I'm bashing you... I'm not. But, you should've learned this skill in your OW training. As a matter of fact, it was a skill required to be done in 1 of the 4 OW dives. :wacko:

David

...As I found out in one of my confined dives on my OW course

Kneeling on the floor in a shiny new weight integrated seaquest pro qd, did the "remove weight belt" skill and found the only thing connecting me to my bcd and stopping me from an instant ascent was the reg in my mouth. I managed to get the bc back on before my teeth fell out and was amazed at how clearly I could hear my instructor laughing through his own reg :)

Gareth

I've got a weight intergrated BC too and was talking with my buddy about it. One thing you may want to do is carry enough weights on a belt to keep you neutral. Depending on what you're wearing you may need more or less weights. So that way with your BC off you will still be more or less neutral as will your BC. Another good thing about having the weights distributed like that is if you have to ditch them, you can ditch them one at a time to have some control over your accent rate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom