New BC / Weight system, How to load the weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuNanoTube

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently bought an Apeks WTX harness system with a SS back plate and an STA (it is on order, SS). The package included two integrated weight pockets that mount on the belt, and a 40LB wing ($585 inc. tax).

Here is the issue I am coming up with. I have thus far used a standard weight belt to keep me down with 28 Lbs of lead (I wear a 7mm wetsuit, full hood, AL80). Each Pocket can hold 10Lbs of lead, plus the back plate is 3-ish lbs and the STA is about 1 . That leaves about 4Lbs of weight unaccounted for. Is there an easy way to tack 4lbs onto the system somewhere so that I don't have to wear another weight belt?

There are a few different ways to add 4 lbs. to a rig. One option that gives you a fair amount of flexibility is using mountable weight pockets. XS Scuba makes some nifty weight pockets that you can thread onto your tank cambands. I own a couple of the WB101s. I believe the WB101-V is a newer product. The outside flap of the WB101-V has some velcro on it to help secure the camband webbing.

I position one pocket on the top camband snugged up against one side of the STA, and another pocket on the bottom camband snugged up against the other side of the STA. If your weighting required it, you could position both pockets on the top or bottom camband (one on each side of the STA). See what configuration works best for you.

Each XS Scuba weight pocket holds up to 5 lbs. This means that you can shift more weight to them (than the 4 lbs. you were looking to stash) if it makes sense to. Load up the pockets with enough weight so that the overall weight distribution promotes proper static horizontal trim.

FYI, if you're transitioning from a conventional jacket or rear-inflate BCD to this Apeks rig, please do a proper weight check with your new BP/W. You'll probably find that you require less lead since your new rig won't have inherent positive buoyancy (like heavily padded BCDs) and the SS bp + STA + SS camband buckles make the rig more negatively buoyant. Typically, SS BPs are 5-6 lbs. negative. STAs can vary quite a bit from 0.5 lbs. to several lbs. negative. A proper weight check will address all of these issues.

Thanks!
I figured that the jacket v.s. BP would shed some buoyancy, however my jacket is so bare bones that I doubt it makes a difference. It is a very cheap (no solid plate, no padding) mares travel BC I got as a bonus in a craig's list deal.
I will do a proper weight check of course, but those weight pouches should help if I do not have enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom