"Nursery" in Pompano ~ Need Help Finding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is also an area called the "nursery" right off Pompano Beach in the area we locals call "the balls" for the mooring bouys found there. I am not sure which of these bouys is the official "nursery" ball. It was named this because they used to feed the nurse sharks there before feeding was banned. The top of the reef is in apx 10 feet of water, the sand is 20 to 25 feet and there is a ledge that runs all along Pompano beach, just follow the mooring bouys :)

I do know that people have swum to the bouys from shore, but it's a pretty long swim :)

Terri

The swim for the Pompano dropoff (actually the east side of the first offshore reef) is about a third of a mile swim from the beach. We do it as a surface swim to the mooring buoys and then dive. In some of the area, the ledge is actually another 30 yards or so east of the balls. We like to go in anywhere along Briny Ave (1 block east of A1A) from SE 2nd down to SE 8th Streets.

It's a really nice dive.

Ok, that "Nursery". I thought you were looking for Nu Turf. But in case you are, it's a pretty long walk from the beach especially if you're carrying gear and maybe a small shrubbery.
It is close to Fill Express though.

I think we need to start renaming all of the “Nurseries” :) Too many to keep track of when diving. We did hit the Pompano Drop Off next to Briny last night. No issues with the swim as we took a ride on the scooters. We happened to see two Nurse sharks, one pretty large just sitting in plain site. Thank you for all of the info as the Board never lets me down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom