Mares Icon or Oceanic Excursion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kresnanto

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Greeting!
I'm looking to buy my first back-flotation and need some advises

Right now I have Mares Icon and Oceanic Excursion in mind (budget constraint).
Anyone can give me suggestion which one consider better for beginner/recreational diver with potential to move to wreck diving ?

I also open for any other suggestion of brand and model.

Thanks in advance...all input greatly appreciated !!!

B.K

I have the Excursion and about 70 dives on it. I love it. It is very comfortable and the cumberbun is barely noticable when I put it on. I am merely a rec diver so I can not speak to the functionality of it for tek diving, but I have been very happy.

Eric.

Eric,
I heard this BC tend to push you. Did you feel having extra weight on the back help you stabilize it while on the surface ?

can't remember what the material is on the excursion (or exc2) but the bladders felt like they would not be as durable on the ones i looked at.

I used to own an icon. It was ok, but keep in mind that it's made to be a travel type BC.
There is no real structure to it, the idea is that it can be rolled up a certain way to make it easier to pack up in your luggage.
Because of this, I found that tended to sag when wearing it prior to diving. Once in the water, it's not an issue because the tank provides thr rigidity.
A minor complaint, and not a big deal considering that it's a travel BC.
I never rolled it up the way the owners manual demonstrated, I just layed it flat in my luggage.
I didn't care for the quick release integrated weight buckles, but that's just a personal preference thing.

From what I have seen, the Oceanic Excursion looks to be a better made BC than the Mares Icon.
Disclaimer: I have never owned or dove the Oceanic, only looked at them.

-Mitch

Eric,
I heard this BC tend to push you. Did you feel having extra weight on the back help you stabilize it while on the surface ?

People hear that, because it is said a lot.
It will float you at the surface differently than a jacket BC will. Like any equipment, you have to adapt to it.
At the surface, simply lay on your back at an angle. You'll be laying on it rather than attempting to have it float you at the surface perfectly vertical.

Personally I would look at the characteristics of it's underwater performance when making the decision.

These:
Inflatable armbands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

will float you in a vertical position at the surface. :)

How a Bouyancy Compensator floats me at the surface isn't part of the selection criteria. Don't let the "It'll push your face underwater" hype muddy the waters for you.:wink:

To answer your question about weight placement. The weight on the cam bands or in weight pockets along the tank is to make adjustments in your underwater trim. Some people might be foot heavy, based on different factors.
Using the cam bands or tank pockets allows you to move weights around to balance out heavy feet.

-Mitch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom