Upgrading Junior OW Card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My daughter turns 15 next month, and she will be able to upgrade her PADI c-card from a junior to regular OW c-card.

I haven't had a call back from messages left at the LDS she certified with, so I figured someone here could answer the question.

What's involved moving up to regular OW card from the junior certification?

Marc

All that's really required for the switch from Jr. OW to Adult OW is paperwork.

If your LDS isn't handling this for you, go elsewhere.

Basically, you'll be paying an admin fee for a PIC for the new card. Make sure to submit the required number of photos with your request.

I'll be doing the same for my son after he turns 15 early next month....I've heard the same as what Sub said above.

Sean

PADI lets you order a replacement card online. You can submit an updated digital photo and pay via a credit card. I think PADI charges US$30, but a LDS may charge less.

Any junior certification will automatically be updated to the "adult" cert if the child has reached age 15.

Look on the PADI web page. Click the Courses side tab, and select Replacement Cards. This link might take you straight there.

That system cannot handle name changes, so those sorts of updates must be done the old fashioned way with copies of the relevant paperwork.

Marc,

Is your child ready to be upgraded to an Open Water card? My niece (17) has not dived much to speak of since her certification at 13. My brother, (her father) told her he would not upgrade her until she shows improvement in her skills, etc. With the JR card she must dive with her parent/guardian or other adult certified diver approved by parent/guardian. With the OW card she could dive when and where she liked, with or without her father's knowledge. As it stands right now, she's only allowed to dive with her father or me. (Dad's rule)

The upgrade card may be a useful tool to motivate your child to improve skills etc.

Just my 2 cents.

Lori - Sorry I missed this post prior.

My daughter is ready. She's got 49 dives in logbook now since getting certified 16 months ago and I'd pick her over many others as my preferred buddy. I make sure we practice skills everytime we dive. She didn't get a computer until I was confident she had her tables down pat.

There's a few wrecks here that she's looking forward to visit that she hasn't been able to go to due to the depth restriction on her current card. AOW will be her summer project once school's out and sports slows down.

Marc

do you dive with a charter?
if not there is no reason for your daughter to not be able to dive with you on the deeper dives if you feel she is ready.

If she's going to do AOW in the summer, she'll get a new card when she finishes the course. Why spend the money replacing her JOW card when it'll be redundant soon anyway?

Z

When I upgraded to (PADI) Advanced OW from Jnr. AOW my LDS made me redo the Dive Table Questions in the OW Final Exam.

They said something along the lines of 'because I don't need an adult anymore it's important for me to know how to use the dive tables' (of course i did all that in my OW but I think in this case it was more like a 'refresher course')

Not a bad idea I think...i got them all right anyway :D

Is that common practice?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom