wing pushes regulator 1st stage when inflated - potential problem??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iainwilliams

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi:

When using a wing and harness (oxychec 30 pound signature & diverite transpac), I note that when the wing is inflated it pushes up against the regulator first stage. I'm using an Apex ATX 200 and have the 1st stage inverted so the seat is pointing downwards. My wing is mounted as low as possible on the harness.

Should I be concerned that the wing pushes against the 1st stage of the regulator?

Thank you., Iain

It probably is not an issue as the oxychec wings are very tough in construction and materials. But, I was concerned either:

1 - the wing when inflated will push against the 1st stage which may cause the regulator to unseat itself (apart from this I dislike placing undue pressure on anything if possible), and
2 - the 1st stage may inhibit the wing from inflating completely.

Iain

Yeah, I figured you were mounting it that way for protection. I have my FSR set up to be mounted with environmental seal pointing up. :idk:
I do a lot of shore diving, so I have a lot of control over my tanks/gear. I can understand that when it comes to boat diving you're kind of at the whim of the dive op. It's easy to see how divers get their gear smashed up on a pitching boat.

Another option is to slide the tank up a little higher (so that the wing doesn't touch the reg when fully inflated) and redistribute your weight to promote static horizontal trim with the tank in that position. This would probably mean shifting a little weight to your hips.

Can you use an STA with a transpac? That would move the tank (and first stage) back a bit... does it also hit you in the head?

I wouldn't worry about the wing not inflating fully, it's only going to be a tiny percentage if at all and it's unusual to *need* to fully inflate your wing even on the surface - and unless the wing gets trapped between the first stage and the BP it's unlikely to unseat it, plus the OPV should open - again this is probably only a danger at the surface so not critical IMO

We get the same effect with our gear. Keep in mind that the wing can only develop pressure equal to the over pressure valves release point. While diving it will be at ambent. Other than that it will conform. Over a long time depending on the surfaces involved some fabric chaffing may result but so far so good for us with Oxy & DSS wings.

If any wear of concern ever appears just add a wear patch before it's of consequence.

Pete

Excellent point Pete and something I had not given thought to.

After reading this, I don't believe there is any hassle associated with the wing pushing against the 1st stage.

Oxychec wings are tough enough that a patch is not required. Cheers, Iain

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom