How does Scubapro's tec line measure up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divingaddict

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have used Scubapro's products before and have never had any issues. However, I would like to purchase a bp/wing setup and would like to know if anyone has had experience with their tec line?

If you are buying from the new tech line, and not any of their previous attempts to make tech gear, then you probably will have to wait a bit for more feedback. It is only now trickling into stores, and is hardly fully deployed.

You might take something from the fact that they have released, and then discontinued their tech line several times. The X tek harnesses were well received, and many people still dive them. The S-Tek harness were less successful, and have a couple of glaring design hiccups, inclusing the fact that the wings flopped away from the harness when not on a tank, and one of the harness D-rings was fixed by reversing a plastic belt slide which means it becomes useless after a few weeks of use.

The new line is more based around a BP/W but with a comfort harness. Given their spotty support history with tech gear, and their previous design hiccups, plus the fact that many other manufacturers are in the same market, unless you are forced to use SP gear for some reason, you might want to look elsewhere.

I'm no tech diver but my Open Water instructor was. He had good things to say about Dive Rite gear. He never even mentioned Scubapro.

As beanojones mentioned, the current SP X-Tec line is new and you probably won't get much feedback on it yet. I still dive the old X-Tec harness (which was essentially the same as the Dive Rite Transpac I). I like it so much that I bought several others used but in new condition and now have a guaranteed supply until well into my 80s!

I have laid my hands on the new Scubapro backplate, and it's made by Halcyon for Scubapro. Halcyon has very nice system, and the Scubapro backplate is also very nice. However I have not seen the new wings.

I have laid my hands on the new Scubapro backplate, and it's made by Halcyon for Scubapro. Halcyon has very nice system, and the Scubapro backplate is also very nice. However I have not seen the new wings.

Interestingly, I have seen the wings but not the backplates!

The wings look well put together, BUT they use a seemingly completely unique corrugated hose to BCD interface, and that alone puts me off. If the BCD/WIng is actually completely different than any other interface out there, and ScubaPro keeps up its spotty commitment to keeping the line in production, then you might have trouble getting parts for it in the future. Scubapro is good about maintaining parts supplies for its regs, but the parts come at a real premium price.

If you get most any other Wings they fit either the Zeagle shoulder nut (Zeagle, OMS), or the Oceanic shoulder nut (Hollis, DiveRite). In fact the only BCD I have ever had a problem getting a replacement shoulder but piece for is an old X-Tek horseshoe wing, which used a shoulder nut that wasnot a match to either the Zeagle or the Oceanic nut, and I had to replaced the whole bladder pinching assembly on the wing with one that is fully compatible with the Oceanic one.

Since most wings are moving to the permanent attached to the bladder interface, welded/glued into place, and if ScubaPro is uses a non-standard interface, that will be a real problem down the road.

FWIW, ScubaPro has now used at least three different shoulder nut assembly styles in the last 12 years on the tech line. Anytime a company changes design that frequently it also contributes to parts scarcity.

I have seen both first hand. The plates are identical to Halcyon and it wouldn't surprise me with their relationship if they are not made by the same manufacturer. SP wings look nice, and should work fine. There are some differences as stated that make them not accept stand components, but SP is a world wide company, and not going anywhere in the future. I have had no issues warrantying SP equipment through a retail store.

If you want to see the equipment first hand ask Bruce at Aquarius on Del Monte to see his sharp new doubles setup. They are a SP retailer and he dives what he sells. He dives a DUI drysuit now too. He goes by Zf2nt on here.

I have seen the full line (happened to be in the shop when the SP rep was showing it to the staff). The wings are much more rugged than the old X-Tec wings (I went through two of the old X-Tec travel wings in 8 years). Did look like they were designed to last. Of course the use of non-standard parts (as in the SP inflator hose which required me to carry two different hoses for my setups).

I've seen bits and pieces over the past few months and have now had a chance to see the entire line. Agree with Drbill, that there is better quality than with the older line.

I actually bought a SS plate. It will receive a SP storage pack, but am wondering if it will receive the Halcyon on my aluminum plate.

I was surprised to see the fobs on the pull strings, but I also see them on the new Halcyon wings. Something about selling them in Europe? They are "required"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom