Torn between what wing to get

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gunpowderboy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone have first hand knowlege of the DRIS Trilanta 28lb wing? I'm torn between that one and the HOG 32lb wing. My wife has the HOG wing (Thanks kanonfodr!) and I'm super impressed with the quality.

I'm not doing any crazy high abrasion diving, but would like to have a wing that stands up to some heavy traveling and rough use. As we said in the army, if it breaks it was poorly designed not rough handling...

How does the Trilanta wing meassure up?

Not sure what makes you think the DRIS might be tougher than the HOG, if that's what you're saying? DRIS is 1600 denier nylon and HOG is 1680

Main difference I see from the specs is the DRIS (Halcyon Eclipse copy) needs an STA

The 4# and $10 isn't going to make much difference one way or the other. If you're happy with the HOG, why not get another one

If I were a betting man. I'd bet. That both of them are near identical and made in the same exact place that all of those wings are made. I'd get a second HOG wing and be done with it. Nothing against the Trilanta wing, but if you already have a HOG and are super impressed with it, why not just get another one and not take the gamble. Especially with you being overseas, you don't want to have to deal with international shipping.

I'd be more concerned about the lift difference than the material or workmanship. I was going to buy the Trilanta (wife nixed that) and was told by someone (can't remember who) at diverightinscuba that it's the wing they dive and they love it. Of course that can probably be said for just about every wing out there.

Tortuga's right though, 4# of difference in lift isn't really going to be a big deal. I'd agree with the assessment that if you like the HOG $10 won't be a big issue, price wise.

Thanks for the input guys. Since I've never seen the trilanta wing IRL and my wife is using the HOG I'm looking for input.

Lift wise it shouldn't be a problem with either one (curtesy of the ultimate wing lift calc!) but the price difference is quite massive since I'm looking at getting a complete new setup with an SS bp. The package deal at DRIS is very competitive, but as we all know buy cheap by twice. In this case I think I'll just go for it and get the trilanta. DRIS has shown nothing but first rate customer service so far and I'm sure any potential issues are easily solved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom