I just booked the airfare for 7/11 to 7/14 for a Key Largo trip.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harro10

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just booked the airfare for 7/11 to 7/14 for a short Key Largo dive trip with my son. I have not been there for years. We are AOW and nitrox certified with 300 to 400 dives each.
We land in Fort Lauderdale on 7/11 at 10:15 am and hope to make an afternoon boat. Does this sound reasonable?
We also plan to do a two tank morning dive and a night dive on 7/12 and a two tank morning dive on 7/13.
We hope to get to the Duane, the Bibb and the Spiegel Grove while down there.
I will start researching dive operations, hotels (not too expensive) and car rentals tomorrow.
I plan on looking into Scuba Shack, HMS Minnow, Dual Porpoise and who ever else I can come up with. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Check out ACE car rental at the airport and Conch Republic Divers at the southern end of Key Largo. I have heard good things about HMS Minnow but I am hooked on Conch Republic after trying two other dive ops in Key Largo. Have a great trip. If your plane lands on time and the car rental goes quickly you could make 1:00 boat upon arrival. Call Conch Republic ahead of time and ask them to put in an order for you at the Cuban cafe at the dock for a quick lunch when you arrive.

That afternoon dive the day you arrive (11th) sounds iffy. If there's a delay, bags are slow on the belt, etc., you'll miss the dive in the Keys. Why not do a dive in Fort Lauderdale, then head to the Keys?

Reactions: Jax
Here's a link for your smart-phone, if you have one. You can check several dive shops schedules for dive sites, availability, and booking. Put the following URL in your smart-phone browser. "http://mobile.scubaocity.com"

Scubaocity Mobile Dive Search.
apple-touch-icon.png

Also you might want to consider the suggestion of a closer dive to the airport if there are any delays. Driving time to the Keys is around 1 1/2 hours, (traffic dependent).

If I can help with anything or answer any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Good Diving,

Thanks all,
I forwarded the link to my son, who has a smart phone. It looks like it will be useful.
I have been looking online for boats that leave in the afternoon at 1:00 and might have some flexibility in order to meet that arrival issue. I expect to get a reply this evening from one possibility and if that does not work out I will start looking at diving that first day up by Fort Lauderdale.

As mentioned, I definitely think you'll have a tough time making an afternoon dive. In my previous trips down and flying into Miami (with similar flight times as yours), I have not been able to make it into the Keys on time.

Diving from the mainland that day would definitely do wonders for your stress levels! Haha.

Reactions: Jax
I just did a quick scouting visit to the Key Largo a couple of weeks ago to check out dive ops. One thing I would highly advise you about for your drive down to Key Largo. DO NOT EXCEED THE SPEED LIMIT!!! I was VERY careful and did not have any problems. But I saw dozens of people pulled over by radar toting police officers. If you speed, you will be helping to support the economy of the area in an unpleasant fashion.

Have fun.

I just did a quick scouting visit to the Key Largo a couple of weeks ago to check out dive ops. One thing I would highly advise you about for your drive down to Key Largo. DO NOT EXCEED THE SPEED LIMIT!!! I was VERY careful and did not have any problems. But I saw dozens of people pulled over by radar toting police officers. If you speed, you will be helping to support the economy of the area in an unpleasant fashion.

Have fun.

Agreed! Speed traps-a-plenty. I got to meet officer Rodriguez one day down there. He did not ticket me though.

Thanks all,
I forwarded the link to my son, who has a smart phone. It looks like it will be useful.
I have been looking online for boats that leave in the afternoon at 1:00 and might have some flexibility in order to meet that arrival issue. I expect to get a reply this evening from one possibility and if that does not work out I will start looking at diving that first day up by Fort Lauderdale.

If you end up deciding to dive in Fort Lauderdale before heading down to the Keys, here are two operators that are convenient to the airport and run a good trip:

ScubaFortLauderdale.com - Home of the American Dream II

or

SeaXP - Scuba Diving - Snorkeling - Fort Lauderdale

I'm usually able to get good hotel deals thru roomsaver.com . Just note that many rates are walk-in specials and can't be booked ahead of time. I stayed at the Key West Inn last week for $69/night, but they would only give me that rate for 2 nights and wanted $129 for the 3rd night (Friday) They also have added a $10/night resort fee since the last time I was there (resort? - really?). But I do enjoy staying there and booking the "special rate" through local dive shops will run you $99/night. Ended up staying Friday in Florida City as I was flying out of FLL late Saturday. Anyway, if you make a back-up reservation somewhere that you can cancel, you can usually save a good bit with roomsaver.

Earlier posts on 1.5 hour drive to Key Largo from the airport are accurate. IF your flight arrives on time and IF you don't have to wait long on your luggage and IF the rental car shuttles don't keep you waiting long and IF there's not a long line at the rental car counter and IF there are no traffic issues, you MIGHT make it down in time for an afternoon dive.

Good Luck and have fun, whatever you choose to do. :)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom