Best Housing System to Buy into

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frank308

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am looking to buy into an underwater camera system but don't know much about the various housing options. As I understand it I will pick a housing for my SLR body and then need to buy tubes and domes to attach various housings. If when I change cameras I will need a new housing but can reuse the tubes and domes. For this reason I figure I should put some good thought into which brand to buy. What companies are recommended? Currently I'm looking at an aquatica housing I found on ebay but don't want to get stuck with second rate equipment just because its cheaper. Any Thoughts>

IMO there is no one "best" housing mfgr.

First you need to insure that the mfgr makes a housing for your camera. Not all SLRs are supported by all mfgrs, but the most popular cameras are.

I have used Ikelite and Aquatica housings. Both are very good. But there are others. Subal is excellent. Nauticam is new into the market, but is getting excellent reviews. Many are made of aluminum, but some are made from clear plastic. Plastic is cheaper than aluminum, but offer other benefits.

Look here and on wetpixel.com for reviews and user comments. IMO you can't go wrong with any of the four mfgrs that I've mentioned, but there are many others equally as good.

You understand that once you invest in a system, you can keep the ports, extension rings, zoom rings, etc. as you change cameras and housings. but the housing is the big $$ nut. I'm looking at the new Nikon D7000. Camera is about $1100 and an Aquatica housing in around $2700+.

Good luck and don't rush. Do your research.

I am looking to buy into an underwater camera system but don't know much about the various housing options. As I understand it I will pick a housing for my SLR body and then need to buy tubes and domes to attach various housings. If when I change cameras I will need a new housing but can reuse the tubes and domes. For this reason I figure I should put some good thought into which brand to buy. What companies are recommended? Currently I'm looking at an aquatica housing I found on ebay but don't want to get stuck with second rate equipment just because its cheaper. Any Thoughts>

I INVITE YOU TO GO TO EBAY AND SEARCH ON SUBAL. YOU WILL FIND A COMPLETE CONFIGURATION USING THE BEST HOUSING AND CAMERA ON THE MARKET. I AM SELLING IT FOR LESS THAN 33% of its original price. If you are interested, you can write me at: lewis171@ix.netcom.com. If you live close enough or I can buy a cheap ticket , I'll han deliver the package and train you on it

It's expensive to into this! I'd recommend that your sue what you want. Changing around is expensive for something good. especially as a DSLR system rather than a point and shoot all in one camera and housing.

Choices are;

Ikelite - reasonable prices. Housing and gear is heavy.
Seacam - more expensive
Sea&Sea - similar prices to Ikelite not as bulky housing.
Aquatica - not bad either

As per functions they operate all that the camera offers on land.

Ensure on the camera you have or want to buy. The casing can used for the current and or future camera if you plan in advance.
Decide on what type of photography you want to get into?
Are you interested in macro or wide or both photography?
Once you decide on that. You can create a list of the gear you'll need.

Sketch is out it's an important costly list. Which will serve you for the present and future.

Enjoy and have fun!!! It's an incredible scenery down there!!!

Back
Top Bottom